Subject: Re: East Berlin border posts
Date: Mar 09, 2005 @ 03:27
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

I think you owe a lady a meal.

I have a map of E Berlin from the DDR side, and it lists crossing
points, and doesn't have Alexanderplatz listed.

I have a news article from a W. German newspaper about how the U-Bahn
passed under it, but how as a westerner you couldn't get up to the
ground level even though the trains stopped there. If I recall the
article correctly, it was about Alexanderplatz and there were W.
German customs problems at the station, because it was in the East,
accessible only from W stations N and S of it. A lot of trade
occurred with regime-trusted E German "business people" sent down
there to sell. Their customers would buy and then have Western goods
confiscated or they were fined for customs import violation when they
got back on the trains after making their tax-free purchases, and rode
to the next station (back into the west). The article made it clear
there was no crossing point. Even though, technically, W people
making the trip "under" E. Berlin could get off and walk around, but
only on the station platform. I do not know if Eastern European
nationals from the Ostblock could enter the DDR there. I understood
that they could vacation freely, just not in the west. Those who did
have permission to travel in the West may well have been able to enter
back into the East block at Alexanderplatz. The list shows only
Germans could enter at Freidrichstr., and only on foot.

Naturally, before the wall went up, you could get off the trains at
Alexanderplatz with no problem - there was free going back and forth
everywhere.

If you need proof, I can scan and send you the section off the DDR
pamphlet with the map that lists only three post-wall crossing points.
I have a map showing pre-wall sector crossing points, and they are
numerous.

Regards

LN