Subject: Re: yikes more bits of left bank delaware found
Date: Feb 13, 2005 @ 17:32
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

The boundaries on these maps don't seem to be very accurate - so I
wouldn't put any stock in someone saying their showing a jetty built
out from the NJ shore means its in DE just because the border line
crosses the jetty and leave the west end outside of NJ. A printer can
change on plate to show a new jetty in brown, and not change the old
black plate on which the border was originally drawn.

See

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=11&Z=18&X=807&Y=10737&W=3&qs=%7cWashington%7cDC%7c

It's an image of ones Point, at the southern tip of DC. The border
marker that is actually on the shore is not the start of the
northbound DC VA border - which the map by the same organization shows
as being at least 20 feet into the Potomac. The cession of this part
of DC in the 1850s to VA stipulated that the Potomac shore was the
border, not that it lies some line 20 feet out into the water. In the
last two years, condos have been built on stilts over the water in
Alexandria - and I've been wondering why these owners pay taxes to
Virginia. There are some little bays where waters of the
Potomacappear to be Virginia shoreline, but I've not bee able to find
authoritative maps showing the official border at these places. It's
also open as to how far up a river or stream that empties into the
Potomac DC territory extends (i.e., where the "shoreline" actually is
when it's under water between the Potomac and the point, wherever it
is, that some stream actually "ends" once it's waters actually reach
the Potomac).

The same applies to this section of the DE-NJ shoreline borders.

LN

LN

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> According to Microsoft Streets & Trips, the street running onto the
first of these from the south-southeast is named "Ferry Road." This
suggests that the squarish fill was formerly a ferry landing. It is
almost directly across the estuary from New Castle.

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=2&S=12&Z=18&X=568&Y=5487&W=3
.

> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

has turned up at least half a dozen additional tongues of
transdelawarean delaware

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=10&Z=18&X=2274&Y=21948&W=1

http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?T=1&S=11&Z=18&X=1147&Y=10995&W=1