Subject: Re: Villalibre sin Jurisdicción
Date: Dec 04, 2004 @ 23:31
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Wolfgang Schaub"
<Wolfgang.Schaub@c...> wrote:
> Marcel and Lowell:
>
> Thank you for the "correct" translation. On the one side you are
absolutely
> right and what you say sounds perfectly reasonable, on the other I
have my
> doubts and wish to learn where the name really originates from - it
may have
> suffered a twist from an original "villa (libre de jurisdicción)"
to the
> modern "villalibre (de jurisdicción)". As a mountain climber I
never give up

ah yes wolfgang i am glad you have mentioned this again
as it reminds me to remind you not to give up either on my 2 as yet
unanswered mountain climbing queries for you at the bottom of
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/BoundaryPoint/message/16005
for i really would like to know if you truly are the european
counterpart of jack parsell
in his capacity as our highpointing king of all the united states
without exception
& would also like to know if you know whether europe or anywhere else
for that matter has anything like the american highpointing society
to take note of such things

also a new question & a half if i dare

have you climbed any of the several tricountry point peaks yet
or reached any other tricountry points than youve previously reported

& as to whether a translation can actually be correct
without quotation marks
being an occasional translator myself
i would like to register a hearty appreciation of what i take to be
your suggestion here above
that translations can certainly be better or worse
& undoubtedly downright incorrect
but hardly just plain correct

for it just doesnt seem to ever work quite so simply as that

> and will explore directly at the source before we go on
speculating -
> especially because it would be marvellous to see my hypothesis
confirmed by
> a local historician.
>
> Thank you for sharing this little anecdote with me,
>
> Wolfgang

Jurisdiction,"
> not
> "Town Free of the Jurisdiction."