Subject: AW: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Villalibre sin Jurisdicción
Date: Dec 05, 2004 @ 08:51
Author: Wolfgang Schaub ("Wolfgang Schaub" <Wolfgang.Schaub@...>)

Dear Aletheiak,

as far as Villalibre with or without jurisdiction goes, I have written a perfect Spanish 3-sentence letter in the meantime to the Muy estimado senor Alcalde of this little village, and I am looking forward to seeing what distils out of that. Maybe he will pass this on to a local historician, and I will get floods of Spanish text to read over Christmas....

As your questions are concerned: No, I am not aware of a European society of highpointers, but, if I ever manage to publish part of my stories - I have now 65 of 130 - I may go on creating one. It seems to me this sort of hobby attracts Anglosaxons more than anyone else - this supported by my impressions that I gather from London bookstores. I refer to Paul Theroux' travel stories, Nicholas Crane's "Clear Waters Rising", and Raoul Schrott's "Tristan da Cunha", just to give examples. Also, wide parts of Europe have not reached the level of "decadence" yet that allows man to play with time - meaning most Europeans have a job to go after that does not allow them to think in "higher" categories such as collecting highpoints. Which also means I will not be successful in selling any of my stuff.

Currently do not restrict myself to the 49 or so independent European countries and their highpoints. I also include colonies, whenever thier mountains are higher than those of the mainland. Furthermore I include all autonomous regions and many of those that wish to become autonomous. And: All en/exclaves, tex-free zones and other weird political entities - which blows up the number of targets to 130 and makes it much more difficult to reach all targets. It also keeps me busy for the "rest" time of my life. (To be honest, my "rest" time started already when I was born in 1944.)

With 60 years of age I have to focus on those mountains that are technically difficult or politically difficult to reach, before my "rest" time runs out. This has meant climbing the highest Danish (colony) mountain in Greenland last May, Monte Coglians of Friaul, the Wandfluhhorn of the Walser language "island" of Bosco Gurin in the Swiss Ticino, and Pica d'Estats of Catalunya and Pena Trevinca of Galicia last summer, among a couple of easier ones along the way.

Next year I plan to tackle Queen Mary's Peak on Tristan da Cunha (which to me is the highest reachable British mountain - higher ones are on South Georgia and the Antarctics), Newontoppen and Perriertoppen on Norway's Svalbard. 2006 I hope to go for Beerenberg on the island of Jan Mayen and on some autonomous republic mountains in the Caucasus, including Chechniya from south.

The great mass of remaining targets are dispersed across East Europe, with the many Russian autonomous republics - but these are "easy" ones technically. What makes them difficult for me are the following obstacles: I have to learn Russian first; I have to drive my own car in Russia; I have to identify the highpoints with Russian Generalstab maps; I have to explain the locals that I am NOT a spy.

And one target also still lurks in the background: The highest of Makedonia and Albania, which fortunately falls into one highpoint on their common border. Although this may be easy technically, there are still mines in the field, and a military escort has to be recruited to assist me surviving.

Which reminds me of the fact that USA still has not banned the sales of landmines - how long shall the schizophrenia go on that Americans risk their lives helping to sweep the Balkans of landmines that other Americans have exported before? If I go on thinking about this I develop great sympathy for terror in all its forms...

Before I lose myself in philosophy I better go on writing my chapter on Seborga with its proud Monte Carparo.

Wolfgang