Subject: Re: extraterritoriality
Date: Oct 26, 2004 @ 19:21
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Peter Smaardijk"
<smaardijk@y...> wrote:

> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Joachim Duester"
> <jduester@p...> wrote:
> (...)
> > Nowhere is the term applied to a --territory--. Not even in the
> sense
> > I wanted to use it. And when its applied to describe privileges of
> > persons or diplomatic mission, I am told the term reflects an
> outdated
> > concept.
>
> Yes, that may be true, but the term extraterritoriality is still
used
> nowadays in contexts that do involve territories. That can mean
that
> the term is used wrong, but it can also mean that the meaning of
the
> term is shifting.

well the particular form of leverage that the vatican appears to
enjoy over italy may indeed be the only remaining sense in which this
word could have any real meaning
but again
as i think has been amply demonstrated
it is a fundamentally fictitious concept
& so a purely imaginary leverage

> I can remember (it has been discussed here at BP a couple of times)
> that the transmitter centre of Vatican radio was causing much
> problems because of alleged harmful levels of radiation it was
> producing (harmful for the Italians living nearby, that is). The
> Italian government couldn't do anything about it, because the
centre
> was on grounds that enjoyed "extraterritoriality". The term is
widely
> used for this and other areas in and around Rome that are exempt
from
> Italian legislation - I think it is even used in the Lateran treaty.
>
> And also (this may be another subject): if some legislation of
state
> A doesn't apply because of extraterritoriality, and this
> isn't "filled in" by the appropriate legislation of state B, isn't
> there a vacuum for that particular legislation?

yes but it is actually only a blessed relief
since all these supposedly sovereign regimes of law are really
vacuums & nullities anyway

meanwhile i have had to resort to another library
here in hartford illinois
to check topozone for some possible viewing access of the otherwise
elusive mouth of the missouri
since all the levees & the flats below them are off limits here
& the lewis & clark viewing tower isnt finished or open yet either

cahokia i had all to myself & its ghosts tho on this rainy day

biggest prehistoric earthwork in the new world

they tried for centuries to make it into a pyramid
but it is still just a mound
i think basically because the chiefs liked to live on top of it

seemed to rival the st louis skyline in the fog