Subject: Re: extraterritoriality
Date: Oct 26, 2004 @ 18:56
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

so i think it is time we recognized that guantanamo isnt really
extraterritorial territory of the usa
but normal territorial territory of the usa

& no matter that the cuus treaty looks different from other treaties
& is based on a bogus premise
for this territory is still under actual united states sovereignty
plain & simple

& we can yak on about how american law applies differently in
guantanamo than say in key west
but that is just a peculiarity of american law
& not the result of a distinction in the sovereign statuses of those
places

& of course sovereignty is a bogus concept to begin with
but extraterritorial sovereignty is more bogus than usual or necessary

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Apart from leased military bases and other facilities,
extraterritoriality has
> little to do with territory (else it would be territoriality), but
rather with
> persons and activities. It is best to think of it as
extraterritorial
> JURISDICTION--that is, a nation's jurisdiction over its own
citizens beyond its
> own territory.
>
> The classic 19th-century examples would include the "spheres of
influence" and
> other trade treaties that various Western nations had in the
Orient. For
> example, by treaty with Japan, the USA had extraterritorial
jurisdiction over
> all of its citizens in that country until 1894. Britain and the
USA had similar
> jurisdiction by treaty with China until 1943. In the American
case, US consuls
> were empowered to hold "consular courts" and apply US law to both
criminal and
> civil matters concerning Americans in those countries where
treaties allowed it.

> Since this sort of thing is rather imperialistic and implies that
some sovereign
> nations are superior to others, it has largely fallen from favor in
the modern
> world.
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

international
> > law.
> > >
> > > The embassy of one state in another state is NOT
extraterritorial