Subject: Re: Possible BNCNMYTWVN 5-Country Reef and Obelisk
Date: Sep 04, 2004 @ 19:15
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

i think more likely than a memorial would be someones idea of a
territorial marker
functioning perhaps much like a boundary monument
only without any boundary to show for it
or perhaps even more like a stone flagpole & flag

one source says china placed a marker on louisa reef in 1988
& that malaysia then promptly removed it
so presumably that refers to a different marker

on another hand
the same source said malaysia operated a lighthouse or
beacon there too
but a later source says the light is no longer there

so perhaps the obelisk was this very beacon
as the pyramidal top one might have expected to see on it is now
evidently missing
& there is apparently nothing else there permanently above sea
level

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Do we know the origin of this obelisk? Is it perhaps a
memorial to those
> shipwrecked on the reef?
>
> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA