Subject: Re: DCMDVAN via Potomac Heritage Trail & baarle quadripoint
Date: Aug 11, 2004 @ 21:37
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

good shooting

from the looks of this pic
you could well be at or near true dcmdvan

also
my scanning is taking longer than expected
but i should soon be able to follow up with a panoramic view
into which you may well be able to insert this pic

& onto which i am sure someone will be able to surprint the
roughly correct dcmd&arfa alignment from top to bottom frame
by cribbing from the fairfax property maps & best aerial views

& will then also be able to pick the point where this vertical line
crosses the more or less horizontal veggie line
in order to predict the location of dcva marker wm1

& will finally also be able to guess the point in the river where
true dcmdvan may fall
but still only guess
pending receipt of mathews & nelson of course

meanwhile in my excitement i have also been trying to imagine
what the mathews & nelson data will actually look like

& i suppose it might be too much to hope for geocoords in 1927
when only maps are promised

in fact 6 maps all together covering both entire reaches of
potomac mdva from smith point to dcmdvas & from dcmdvan to
mdvawv

so i am imagining some only medium scale maps & a relatively
fat mdva line
the centers of 2 of whose termini will indicate both the truest
available as well as the actually legal dcmdvan & mdvawv

so the map will probably need to be read as punctiliously as it
can possibly be read

which means we may get our final legal tripoint position in each
case only by blowing up these maps & measuring & computing
for them pixil by pixil

& i realize i am ahead of ourselves here
but it seems likely that this punctilious mapreading chore will be
the ridiculous end game in front of us

but i trust we will be amused by the grand finale in any case

for now i am off to seek a hole in the clouds so as to visit what
has been billed as the best meteor shower of 2 lifetimes

occurring tonight between 2am & daybreak edt

so check it out if you can

i think i may have to drive to at least binghamton or harrisburg
tho

beeps

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "bjbutlerus"
<bjbutler@b...> wrote:
> I was thinking along the same lines and went looking for some
existing
> photos of that stretch of river. Here is a decent starting point:
>
> http://www.americanwhitewater.org/rivers/id/90/
>
> Look especially at the photos listed at the bottom of the page,
> including this link, which I believe includes the trifinium:
>
> http://www.americanwhitewater.org/photos/?photoid=1886
>
> I think the large mass near the left center of the photo is the
> crescent shaped rock adjacent to the trifinium. This also
shows that

<aletheiak@y...> wrote:
> > exactly
> > & i also have the same rocks in profile in my river level pix
> > with very substantial agreement of many other features too
> > so even assuming some slight inaccuracy in the fairfax
overlays
> > which i do
> > having seen the irregularities in some of the other details
> > it still wont be hard to find the approximately correct
alignment

> > & of course this is not everything we will need to find
> > but it means marker wm1 should be much easier to recover
now

> > & that
> > plus mathews & nelson
> > plus a place to park the cars
> > plus good luck with our new access route
> > plus a low enough water level
> > plus a security line for leaning out over the river from the bank
> > since we dont dare jump in to reach the tripoint
> > even if it is just offshore as we expect
> > may be all we need to upgrade our laurels to class b
> >
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G.
McManus"
> > <mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> > > I keep looking at the Fairfax County aerial photo and the
Urban
> > Areas photo on
> > > Terraserver. I think that the best way to find the boundary
> > below the bluff
> > > (where you can't sight from the features above) would be to
> > locate it relative
> > > to the various rocks in the river as shown on the photos.
They
> > seem to be
> > > scattered in a distinctive manner.
> > >
> > > Lowell G. McManus