Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Visit to BCIDWA (and 49N 117W)
Date: Aug 06, 2004 @ 02:40
Author: Dave Patton [DCP] ("Dave Patton [DCP]" <dpatton@...>)

At 01:39 PM 2004/08/01, Dave Patton [DCP] wrote:
>At 12:58 PM 2004/08/01, aletheiak wrote:
> >dave
> >
> >just to sum up now as much as possible
>
> > > I have sent an email to the IBC asking what version of NAD27
> > > they have used, but haven't yet received an answer.
> > > I assumed NAD27 CONUS.
> >
> >right
> >& since no news is good news
> >i am even more prepared now than i already was to assume this
> >with you too
>
>I'm still waiting. The person I emailed has been out of the
>office. I spoke to the secretary of the commissioner last
>week, and she is going to try and get the person I emailed
>to contact me this coming week, after the long weekend.

I have spoken to both the Canadian Commissioner and Deputy
Commissioner of the IBC:
- neither one was aware that there are variations of NAD27
- neither one knows what variation the IBC website boundary
coordinates are using
- neither one knows the answer to the "straight lines vs
curved parallels" issue for the history of the boundary
west of the Rockies

The Deputy Commissioner confirmed that regardless of any
coordinates listed as "official" on their website, the
boundary is defined by the monuments.

The Deputy Commissioner said that if a monument was destroyed,
such coordinates would be one of the last things used in
replacing the monument. They would use nearby existing
monuments, and records with information such as distance
between monuments, bearings, etc.

I have sent another email to the Deputy Commissioner with
the datum and 'straight vs parallel' questions, and he is
going to forward it to the US IBC office, to see if they
have any further information.

I don't expect to hear back for a while, as both the Canadian
and US commissioners just left for a two-week inspection tour
of part of the boundary. I don't know which part of the
boundary, but they do this periodically as part of the planning
for the boundary maintenance, and they don't walk, they use
helicopters.

--
Dave Patton
http://www.confluence.org/