Subject: Re: Visit to BCIDWA (and 49N 117W)
Date: Jul 28, 2004 @ 20:22
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman
<mikekaufman79@y...> wrote:
> What is the authority of the GLO / General Land
> Office? All the info we have seen talks about the
> 1909 USGS marker. Whether we can verify the center of
> the 1909 disc falling on the 194-195 sightline or not,
> they at least seem to have thought they placed the
> marker in the right place.

they do appear in 1925 to have observed & scrupulously imitated
the meridian of the state line as marked in 1909
because that is precisely the separation line between the boise
& willamette meridians

in fact they appear to have employed idwa here as a sort of
submeridian of the willamette meridian
in measuring off the public land sections eastward toward the
governing meridian
rather than westward from it
as would have been normal in this location

& they may not have been second guessing the 1909 placement
at all but only seconding it emphatically at the closest practicable
remove
being careful to keep it in the usa too

so all in all where else could they have put it

& it wasnt theirs to question or determine the true location of
caus either
as it is ours
since they were measuring northward as well as eastward here
& this public land section had already been foreordained to be
cropped by caus no matter what they did

so this was not a meaningful section corner on their grid but just
the perfunctory closure of a loose end
& it must have been done by mimicry alone rather than survey art
since they were certainly not looking to pick an argument with
any of the existing boundaries

Then comes GLO in 1925
> with this gold capped standpipe with the point
> depicted. A passerby might be confused and think that
> is meant to be the TP (as a latter revision?) when I
> suppose they just meant it to be a witness mark for
> the 1909 marker.

not really a witness marker in the usual sense

& of course all these markers have specific purposes &
meanings & are not themselves responsible for any confusions

nor is the idle passerby responsible either

but it is the responsibility of the seeker to be clear

it may well look like the 1925 trumps the 1909
which in turn looks like it trumps or joins the caus sight line

but it is possible to know that things arent as they seem

the same thing occurs at ctmari
where a 1938 marker seems to trump an 1883 marker
but it is not at all so in reality

Generally, does USGS always trump
> GLO in instances where both have marked the same
> tripoints?

yes usgs would trump if it ever really happened
but i dont think any actual example exists
not even this one

for even this one only apparently exists but doesnt really
since both markers here only pretend to mark the tripoint

so
the state line surveys precede the public land surveys
just as the international border surveys have priority over the
state line surveys
whether historically & chronologically or not

(admitedly I can't think of another
> example, but perhaps another one exists.)
>
> --- "Dave Patton [DCP]" <dpatton@c...>
> wrote:
>
> > I've posted the narrative and photos detailing my
> > recent visit to the British
> > Columbia/Idaho/Washington
> > (BCIDWA) tripoint and 49N 117W degree confluence on
> > the Degree Confluence Project website:

http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=49&lon=-117&visi
t=4