Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Visit to BCIDWA (and 49N 117W)
Date: Jul 28, 2004 @ 06:35
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

The Congress created the General Land Office in 1812 in the Department of the
Treasury to oversee the "disposition" of federal lands. In 1946, the GLO was
merged with the U.S. Grazing Service to form the Bureau of Land Management in
the Department of the Interior.

It appears that the 1925 GLO monument is meant to mark the public land survey
system in Washington, whereas the 1909 USGS monument is probably meant to mark
the state boundary. Of course, it is up to the IBC to mark the international
boundary.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA