Subject: Re: Visit to BCIDWA (and 49N 117W)
Date: Jul 27, 2004 @ 16:27
Author: aletheiak ("aletheiak" <aletheiak@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Patton [DCP]"
<dpatton@c...> wrote:
> At 03:33 AM 2004/07/27, aletheiak wrote:
> >--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Patton [DCP]"
> ><dpatton@c...> wrote:
> > > I've posted the narrative and photos detailing my
> > > recent visit to the British Columbia/Idaho/Washington
> > > (BCIDWA) tripoint and 49N 117W degree confluence on
> > > the Degree Confluence Project website:
> > >

>http://www.confluence.org/confluence.php?lat=49&lon=-117&vi
si
> >t=4
>
> >tho i did get a good look at your excellent report last night
> >the confluence page seems to have seized up this morning
> >so i cant get back to it now to double check the data
> >tho i trust it will soon be restored
>
> We were "slashdotted" yesterday(i.e. someone posted an
article
> about the DCP on slashdot.org), which has caused higher
than
> normal server loads.
>
> >but in any case
> >when it was working
> >i was able to copy these nad83 coords for the 1909 disk
> >as presented on the 1998 tablet
> >nlat 48d59m57s110
> >wlong 117d01m56s715
>
> Of course those should be:
> Latitude: N48d59m57.110s
> Longitude: W117d01m56.715s

yes thanx
more below

> >& tho the bcidwa monument does appear to be situated near
the
> >middle of the clearcut & therefore nearly smack dab on caus
> >these coords dont compare well to the nad83 coords for the
> >neighboring markers published by the ibc
>
> The International Boundary Commission(IBC) website has
> both NAD83 and NAD27 coordinates for the boundary markers.
> Note that the NAD27 ones are listed as being official, while
> the NAD83 coordinates have been derived by software.

for this reason i did also use the nad27 & convert them to nad83
myself & derive an extra significant digit
tho i didnt complicate things by mentioning it earlier

& this double check only substantiates further the hypothetical 2
or 3 meter offset

in fact this makes it out to be 3 meters rather than 2

> I have sent an email to the IBC asking what version of NAD27
> they have used, but haven't yet received an answer.
> I assumed NAD27 CONUS.

hm
please explain if & how this might affect the accuracy range