Subject: Re: Divided building (DEFR) near DEFRLU
Date: Jul 07, 2004 @ 21:38
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I think that the condominium is formed by the entire river between
Luxembourg and Germany, i.e. two stretches, limited by four straight
lines across the river, and the respective river banks. A border is
normally first defined, then marked. The markers were therefore
placed after it was known where the border was. And that border was
the river bank. Now it is a bit impractical to place border markers
half in the water, half on the land, and anyway, the border was
formed by a natural linear feature, namely the river bank. Some
border markers were placed, but only at more or less important
places, like bridges and confluences. And at the termini of the
condominia, of course. So these markers are bound to be witness
markers. By the way, there are lots of examples of border rivers that
have the border in the middle of the stream (mostly the thalweg),
with border markers on both sides that equally don't mark the border
exactly.

But there are markings that do mark the actual border accurately,
nevertheless. For instance the round metal plates on bridges and on
the former customs house at the Keppeshausen bridgehead. But these
are places where manmade features cross into the condominium, and the
border was probably already fixed at that time.

But the border stones alongside the Mosel, Sauer, and Our are, I
think, not exactly on the border, with the exception of the
binational tripoint markers north and south of Vianden. But they are
not on the tripoints DEDELULU - they are just on DELU.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Jesper Nielsen" <jesniel@i...>
wrote:
> It's a good observasion. I vaguely remember it being disussed
before, either on BP or at GCEBE.

> Are all DELU-LU markers (and the binational marker(s) around
Vianden) just witness markers?

> There should be a similar map of the northern binational tripoint
somwhere (or perhaps I can find it in my files). We couldn't find any
southern binational tripoint markers at Vianden.