Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Nations within countries
Date: Jun 09, 2004 @ 18:07
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Eric,

Is your Cherokee descent from Oklahoma or the East?

The Oklahoma Cherokee require only descent (not a particular fraction) from an enrolled member in their region circa 1900.  That descent must be proved by CDIB "white card."  The BIA requires documentation of each generation to get that, then one applies to the Cherokee Nation for a "blue card" which is citizenship.  Citizens resident in the region can then register to vote in Cherokee National elections.  See http://www.cherokee.org/Services/TribalRegistration.asp .

The Eastern Cherokee in North Carolina require one-sixteenth for enrollment.  See http://www.cherokee-nc.com/ and click "Enrollment Info."