Subject: Re: Nations within countries
Date: Jun 09, 2004 @ 16:48
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Eric Choate <choatune@y...>
wrote:
> I've had some of the same questions. My mother is 1/32 Cherokee, which I believe allows her to be recognized by the US government as a Cherokee if she chose to be, but since I'm just 1/64, I can't. I think 1/32 is the minimum percentage.

yes & of course the matter of exactly who recognizes exactly who for
exactly what purposes does vary widely

> The northeastern corner of Arizona has the Navajo Nation completely surrounding the Hopi (I think, I'm not looking at a map right now) Nation, which I think in turn completely surrounds another part of the Navajo Nation.

thats jeddito
visited in real time in message 2588

> plus, I think there are a couple of regions that belong jointly to both nations. This seems like it could be exceedingly difficult to administer. I hope the tribes get along.

at azconmut for example
which is 3 quarters navajo
the utes dont even show up for their quarter of the action

but you must mean actual indian condo lands

very interesting

some tribes are of course concentrated into joint reservations

but can you recall any more about this

> Also, what about the Canadian reserves (is this the correct term?)? are they administered in significantly different ways from American reservations? and I know they're not called "Native Canadians" but I can't remember what the accepted term is.

native peoples including inuit
but apples & oranges of course
not to mention all the other amerindian fruit salad all the way to
paraguay