Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] more italian translation
Date: Apr 21, 2004 @ 10:17
Author: Ernst Stavro Blofeld (Ernst Stavro Blofeld <blofeld_es@...>)

> this resulting tongue of territory is depicted as
> belonging to the holy see
> & as being open to the public
> just like st peters square

Thank you for this thorough translation.

Is the matter settled now? I wish I was certain.
It seems that Dr Aebischer and Dr la Colla disagree
on the nationality of the sickle. This morning I
received a letter from Dr la Colla, which i quote
below for all to evaluate.

On my question whether or not there is a sickle that
belongs to Italy, Dr la Colla says:

'The "sickle shaped area" near the north side of
colonnade was called by myself "Ricciolo d'Italia", in
a chapter of my book about SCV. R�cciolo is a CURL, a
curl of hair- Italy's Curl is my name of this narrow
territory, which belong to Italy.
But this subject is rather complicate!
The Vatican-Italian Commission, in 1929, settled on
this little strip (3 meters wide, which ends, in
eastern side, in a little breadth, a very little
square, near the entrance in Via di Porta Angelica -
Angels' Door street), as a new territory of newborn
Vatican City State. A territory which had to be
cosidered as St. Peter's Square, then normally
subjected to power of italian Police. As an appendix
of the famous Square.
But this decision of Commission was never ratified by
Parliament or Government of Italy. Therefore, today
this territory yet belong to italian State.
In fact, ths little area was clearly awarded to Italy,
in official map of Vatican City State, official
enclosed to Treaty of Lateran.

Strangly, today this R�cciolo d'Italia is considered
as a vatican territory; perhaps for practical reasons.
People cannot demonstrate in this area, as in St.
Peter's Square (I think). The blue vatican postal
boxes are placed in this narrow strip, as it should be
vatican territory. The newsparer kiosk put near the
arch and near the red line in Aebischer's map, is
normally considered as kiosk in vatican State: then,
no taxes of Italy for the owner!
The italian Police guards, questioned by myself, 15
years ago, told to me "Is vatican territory!!"

A very confused argoment...
Italy and Vatican do not want to settle this question,
"in italian way", "all'italiana". The sickle is
italian but appears vatican soil!
The red line in Aebischer map is only for to establish
the presumed border, also signed on the ground with a
"travertino" strip.'

And he goes on to quote the decision of the boundary
commission (english additions by Dr la Colla):

'ASD AP 1931-1945 S. Sede b. 12 -- 331106

Ministero degli Affari Esteri Ufficio Affari S. Sede
[A matita] Visto da S.E. il Capo del Governo
(Mussolini) 7-11-XII * (7-11-1934) *: (fascist date)

Per quanto invece concerne la striscia di suolo
aderente al colonnato berniniano, sebbene si tratti,
anche in questo caso, di zona di superficie limitata,
questa Direzione Generale sarebbe d'avviso di fermarsi
sulla questione di principio di non estendere i limiti
del territorio vaticano (do not extent the borders of
vatican territory).
Nella fattispecie conforta questa tesi anche la
circostanza che l'ultimo capoverso dell'art. 3 del
Trattato Lateranense dispone quanto segue: "Quando la
S. Sede, in vista di particolari funzioni, credesse di
sottrarre temporaneamente la Piazza di S. Pietro al
libero transito del pubblico, le Autorit� Italiane,
almeno che non fossero invitate dall'Autorit�
competente a rimanere, si ritireranno al di l� delle
linee esterne del colonnato berniniano e del loro
prolungamento."'