Subject: Re: 2 vatican footnotes
Date: Apr 18, 2004 @ 03:15
Author: L. A. Nadybal ("L. A. Nadybal" <lnadybal@...>)

> There is another delicious article on the curiosities of the Vatican
boundary,
> this one by Vitto La Colla, on the same web site. Its two parts
begin at
> http://tinyurl.com/yvb86 . I have only begun to try to
de-Italianize it.

> Lowell G. McManus
> Leesville, Louisiana, USA

I did a Google translation on the what I think is the same two page
article. Maybe it will save you some time. I cut off the part about
the popes and elections.

Len

"The Vatican City State is the smallest State that exists to the
world. Wide E' 44 hectares, correspondent less than half square
kilometer (while Monaco has one surface nearly two square kilometers).
But series of strange characteristics possesses also one.

In the first place its head of the State puo' never not to be a lay
one, but dev' to be a catholic clergyman, poichè coincides with the
person of Sommo Pontefice. Then, the assembly that elegge this head of
the State is composed, in maximum part, from citizens of other States,
the cardinals, that they come, in their majority, from all the parts
of the world. In truth the cardinals re-united in Conclave eleggono
Pope, Sommo Pontefice, that is load with bishop of Rome, than it he
places $R-at the head of all the catholic Church. Siccome loads with
Pontefice coincides with that one of head of the State, in the Vatican
City, practical the cardinals eleggono at the same time, without to
even think to us, also the monarch of the State.

Draft moreover of an absolute monarchy, the only one in Europe, and of
a rare type of monarchy, that "elective one", and does not exist a
parliament neither much less is left political. The power is all in
the hands of the Sovereign Pontefice "of the Vatican City State", like
it enunciates the penultimate article of the Treaty and the art. 1 of
the fundamental Law. The Pope, but, delegation its power to other
organs, above all cardinalizi, why sure puo' not to take care itself,
beyond that of the complex government of the Church, also of the
direction of this small Be. But the three powers are its, legislative,
executive and judicial. The Pontefice puo' to modify, if it wants, the
laws, without some control or confirmation from part of chicchessia.

Then Peter is Saint public square, than, also being integrating part
of the territory of the SCV, she is of norm subordinate to the powers
of the Italian police, based on the art. 3 of the Treaty of 11
February 1929. A probably only case to the world. A lot that the
persons are little who, entering in the public square, and surpassing
the strip of travertino clear that she stands out on the pavement, are
conscious to enter in an other State: they see to walk the agents of
the Italian Police, and from there they draw the consequences, than
but they are not corrected.

Other particular onlooker, and little known, is that the famous
classroom Paul YOU, planned from the architect Nerves, is situated,
only case to the world, to horse between two States, Italy and the
Vatican City. Even if, on the cartine that appear on specialized
reviews, like the National Geographic Magazine, such surrealistic
border does not come evidenced, and even if no journalist, during the
numerous television reports from that place, the memories. The border
of State cuts to the classroom of the Audiences long a zigzagante line
a po', just under the stage where it knows them the Pope during the
ceremonies. The seats are nearly all in Italian territory; this last
ago part, also being effectively territory of the Italian Republic, of
one of the numerous "areas with I privilege of extraterritorialità" to
favor of the Sede Saint, that he is very various what from "territory
of the Vatican City State". This square of centocinquanta meters of
side, in fact, is not comprised in quarantaquattro the hectares of the
surface of the SCV. Sembra Vatican, to the appearance, but in effects,
legally, it it is not. There are consequently important differences in
the way to pursue eventual commessivi crimes (scippi, blows during
arguments, etc), in how much the crime is carried out on Italian
territory, and the Italian magistracy is the only competent to judge.
But, this is the more clamorous consequence, the agents of the Italian
Police cannot enter in order to inquire.
" You see Design

ONE STRANGE OUTLINED LINE.
In front of the modern cancelled one through which Paul approaches
itself the Classroom, endured to YOU behind the left arm of the
berniniano Colonnato, there is particular a much onlooker. A strip
outlined, marked with clearer stones that risaltano on those dark
ones, that it marks the edge of a palazzetto that lì rose until 1966.
It was be a matter of the Petriano Museum, fact to construct from Pope
Pio XI, and inaugurated 14 February of 1925. It accommodated the
reperti of the ancient Basilica of Saint Peter, pieces of columns,
statues, paintings and sketches. It had little life, this
construction, in truth very little elegant and works them. Inclination
to leeward came, for will of Paul YOU, in order to gain of one spiazzo
for the access to the new Classroom, in course of construction,
planned from the architect Nerves.

But... there was but... The Petriano Museum was contained in the
called extraterritorial area "of the Sant' Uffizio", that one which it
has been pointed out little before. It was territory immune from the
jurisdiction of the Italian authorities of police, just like an
embassy. It was necessary, then, to trace a border on the pavement of
the public square, in order to mark the exact limit that the agents
could not exceed. Anzichè to construct to an gate (the border was
rather irregular, with angles and shelves) decided to mark on the
pavement this line more behind, arranging one cancelled rectilinear
some meter. Here explained the strange outlined line, as it is looked
at in the photography.

The RICCIOLO Of ITALY
Therefore I have called, in a "study" made various years ago, this
strip of Italian territory that is insinuated between two features of
territory of the Vatican City State. E' nearly sure an only case to
the world. Long a wide area approximately three meters and a
sessantina, mails behind the arm of the Colonnato of the Bernini, to
Saint right of public square Peter for who watches the Basilica, just
under the palace where the Saint resides Padre. This strip, than
gradually is shrunk until ending to tip - just as it happens for a
ricciolo - is situated endured behind the external columns of the
berniniano arm, and it has like limit, from the opposite part, a high
wall sormontato from a sturdy one cancelled, behind which they are
found of the palaces and the courtyards, nearest the Barracks of the
Swiss Guards.

The strange thing is that this Italian ground border is considered
erroneously, perhaps just for the incongruità of the situation, making
part of the territory Vatican. The Italian guards and Vaticans that lì
close park, if interrogated, answer with emergency that that strip
belongs to the Vatican.

But she is not therefore. Enough to watch a piantina of the State,
like that one, official attached to the Treaty signed from Italy and
Santa Sede in the February of 1929 in order to become account that is
just Italian territory! It is liberations accessible - at least in the
part it begins them, not barred - from the tourists and the onlookers,
than they are found therefore "incuneati", without to even know it,
between two features of one Be sovereign, but putting down the feet on
the ground of an other Country. The fact is that, in order to perhaps
simplify the things and to eliminate complications of any type, the
prelocated authorities to the Saint vigilance of public square Peter
consider, for practical reasons us, this making strip like part of the
public square (that it is territory Vatican), that is like an appendix
of the same one. In effects, even if truth this strip is Italian
territory, the circumstance does not have practical implications us,
and it does not have sense, in the life every day, to emphasize it (if
not, exactly, for rimarcarne the amazing singolarità).

The situation is not changed, in these settant' years and passes, and
exact the cartine more modernized and of the small Be, also now, they
bring back this strange situation of borders be them. While those for
the tourists, or those of encyclopedias, fly over on this particular one.

PT2

SAINT SEDE And CITTA' Of the VATICAN
Remarkable difference between the two terms is one. For "Sede Saint"
the supreme direction of the Catholic Church agrees. In effects, this
expression has two meanings. One, plus general, regard all the complex
of the papal Curia, the titular Cardinals of ministries, the several
Congregations, with to head the Pope. The second one regards alone
Sommo Pontefice, meant as it loads, like supreme authority of the
Church, and not like physical person. While for "Vatican City" the
State agrees, of which the Sede Saint (understanding as "Pope") is
sovereign agency, and for independence of which the State has been
created, in 1929, base to agreements between Italy and, exactly, Sede
Saint (than, therefore, preesisteva to the S.C.V., and was endowed,
even if deprives of territory, one internationally recognized
sovereignty).

However, the expression "Vatican", used commonly, also from the press,
means to a time is "Saint Sede" that the risen territorial entity in
the heart of Rome. It is not an exact meaning, but it has entered in
the common use (and contributes to create confusion...).

The document that is to the origin of the birth of this very small and
extraordinary State, the Treaty of the Laterano, has been signed
between Saint Sede and 11 Italy February of 1929, and has entered in
the 7 vigor june of the same year. Together to the Treaty (that it
comprised, like attached, a Convention Financial institution) has been
stipulated also the Agreed one, for regulating the relationships, in
Italy, between the Saint Sede and the Italian Government.

The two instruments graduate have taken the name to us of "Lateranensi
Pacts". They came in fact signed in the palace of the Laterano, from
the First Italian Minister, Benito Mussolini, and from the Secretary
of State Vatican, card. Peter Gasparri. For two years and means, in
complete segretezza, they had been numerous delegated encounter
between the two of the opposite parts, Pacelli and Barone. Devout
Pontefice XI was kept constantly informed, followed all and gave
continuous directives.

Opportune E' to remember that, while the Treaty is an only instrument,
historically most important - placed aim to the "Roman Issue", been
born with the occupation of Rome from part of the Italian troops, in
1870 - the Agreed one is an agreement that the Sede Saint has strait,
beyond that with Italy, numerous times also with the most various
Countries of the world, for regulating the inner relationships
(wedding, religious instruction, freedom of cult, etc).

THE VIGILANCE IN THE STATE.
The Vatican City has two Bodies of vigilance. One of they is
constituted from the Swiss Guards, and is most famous, and also most
colorful. Between little years, 21 January of 2006, the Body five
hundred years compirà. The Guards, hundreds in all, from the coloured
and characteristic uniform, constitute a microscopical army, they are
to the directed dependencies of the Pope, and have the task to defend
its person, nonchè the borders of the State and the incomes of the
Apostolic Palaces. They are all coming from young manen from
Switzerland, as a result of an appropriate convention between the Sede
Saint and the Helvetic government. They must be catholic, high of
stature, good conduct, and lend service for two years; except that
they are chosen from the authorities Vaticans in order to complete
their career.

According to Body it is the Vigilianza Vatican, the much less famous
one, the whose members have a dark blue uniform, they carry the cap,
and they are all, for one norm previewed from their regulations,
rather high.

THE CITIZENSHIP VATICAN.
The citizenship Vatican is not obtained simply with the birth in the
State, as it happens in all the others you leave of the world. Dev' to
be of time in time granted from an appropriate office. In the Vatican
City some families (like that one of Emanuela Orlandi, kidnapped exist
approximately vent' years ago, and more not found again), talora of
civil dependent Vaticans talora of Swiss Guards, that they live in
small apartments, of property of the S.C.V. Nobody puo' to possess
privates property within this State. All the territory and all the
pieces of real estate are consider you of property of the Sede Saint
("Be patrimonial").

To the sons who are born in these families come granted to the
citizenship Vatican, but only until their greater age. They it
forgiveness, then becoming in kind city Italian, and going to live
outside from the City. If it were not made therefore, the population
would increase inexorably, while the territorial esiguità of the State
does not allow to accommodate more than a small number of persons.

All the Cardinals who reside in the Vatican City, or in the city of
Rome, possess, for law, the citizenship Vatican. The other Cardinals,
in other Italian cities or the other Countries, have the citizenship
of the State in which they reside. As an example, the Cardinals
archbishops of many Italian cities, regularly go to vote in the
elections that are carried out in the Republic.

Finally, the numerous ones are city Vaticans given a degree to to us
scattered in the Nunziature of all the world: citizens of the State,
but that they do not reside in it. Those citizens who reside in it
compile to approximately three hundred persons!"

Section on Popes not incl.