Subject: Re: land use in Baarle
Date: Apr 06, 2004 @ 07:05
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Probably "chene", not "cheue".

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, bwhyte@u... wrote:
> I have obtained a copy of map H from the 1842 Belgium-Netherlands
boundary treaty, which shows a small rectification of the main
boundary between Castelre and Wortel (Baarle-Nassau & Belgium).
(nothing to do with the enclaves, just a realignment of the boundary
so it follows roads rather than leving two tiny plots beside a road
to the country on the opposite side of that road)

> The plots of land have a description of land use attached to them.
Most I can translate but one eludes me.

> terre labouree = worked/tilled/ploughed land (land under
cultivation?)
> sapins = fir trees
> taillis= copse/coppice/thicket
> bruyere= heath/heather
> jardin = garden
>
> but can anyone translate "Bois de cheue"? There is what appears to
be a circumflex (^) over the first e in cheue. And as the 'c' is
lowercase, it is definitely not a placename. I'm guessing its a
particular type of tree?