Subject: Re: CEBT - next Europ. border expedition in August!
Date: Apr 06, 2004 @ 03:54
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Doug Murray
<doug@d...> wrote:

> My appearance on CBC Radio was no more than me recalling
the incident
> when we ventured from Poland into Belarus without
permission.

well it may only have been one small step for us beepers

but it was still a giant step for everyones land

let me explain below

> The incident in question:
>
> We arrived at the BYPL boundary and began exploring. I can't
recall
> the nearest town, and I am not able to check the map.
>
> However the 2 lane road was blocked... and on the Polish side
was a
> sandstrip that crossed the entire roadway. It was probably 2
metres
> across.
>
> Further up, there was the a change in pavement -- the border --
and a
> white line across the road that marked the boundary. BY and
PL markers
> faced each other.
>
> The road continued as far as the eye could see into BY.
Somewhere in
> the distance there was a BY checkpoint, but we could not see
it.

> On the PL side, there were some buildings, including one that
looked
> like an old office for border officials.
>
> The GBBE group wandered around, and we accidently trod in
the sand
> strip. Shortly thereafter, a Polish border guard came racing up
the
> road. Apparently someone (a local farmer?) called to report
us.

> He was awfully unhappy -- and it fell to Ann to use her Polish
skills
> to explain what we were up to. They spent several long
minutes in the
> guard's jeep -- discussing the matter.
>
> At one point, we were asked through Ann, if we had entered
Belarus
> and/or trod in the sand. Initially we said no, but when pressed
-- and
> threatened with matching our shoes to the footprints in the
sandstrip
> -- we admitted that we may have accidentally wandered across
the border.

> When he asked how many of us accidentally entered BY -- we
all nodded
> that we had.

hahahahaha
wasnt this a scene from snow white & the 7 dwarves
hahahahaha

> This began more discussions between the guard and Ann. He
also spoke
> many time to his superiors on the radio.
>
> Eventually, he realized we meant no harm. We all apologized
profusely
> to both the guard, the people of Poland, the people of Belarus,
and
> most importantly, to Ann.
>
> The incident ended with laugher and goodwill... and a
reminder that
> while exploring borders is fun, they are also places of territorial
> integrity -- and must not be treated lightly.
>
> This lesson stayed with us for at least 30 minutes.

no wonder
since the laughter & goodwill were of course the whole point
& your very reasons for going there to bypl as well as to the radio

& the integrity of borders is of course a vain illusion
which should indeed be forgotten in 30 minutes or less
as you correctly did

&
t h a t
is what the world heard from your lips last night

the world heard
this really is all just everyones land
& we can not only all get along but actually live happily ever after

& thanx also to this from you tonite
i finally do get the clang of mikes ringer in message 13893
hahahahahaha
which i heartily recommend to anyone who hasnt made the
connection yet
hahahaha
too much

& finally i would like to second aletheias suggestion to anyone
who still has any email difficulties whatsoever

just replace your email regime by bookmarking or homepaging
the bp home page & resorting to gmane for attachments
whenever necessary
since everything is now working great
even with a huge load of goodies such as these

bravissimos all

i am humbly proud to be a part of this enormous & truly
preposterous organization

er i mean this sandcastle pipe dream

> Pictures follow...
>
> Cheers,
>
> Doug
>
> BELOW: Looking into Belarus... Polish barricade.
>

> BELOW: Polish sandstrip with someone's footprints.
>

> BELOW: Line across road -- like Hagen Koch's DDR-BDR line
near Cafe
> Adler in Berlin!
>

> BELOW: Looking at the Polish marker (no idea how the
photographer got
> this shot. Mirrors, I think!)
>

> BELOW: Another shot of the road & posts.
>

> Below: Inside one of the abandoned (?) buildings nearby.
>

> On Monday, April 5, 2004, at 04:22 PM, acroorca2002 wrote:
>
> > ahh pete
> > i just got to a computer where i could finally read this doc
> >
> > beauuuuutiful
> >
> > & your 40404 must be the missing 4th horseshoe ringer too
> >
> > also
> > i missed dougs radio interview about the polish border guard
at
> > bypl
> > or at least thats what i think mike was talking about in his 4th
> > shoe drop
> >
> > so can you or anyone fill this blank in for those few of us who
> > were neither on the geebe nor on the radio last night
> >
> > or am i missing another point as well
> >
> > & finally
> > dont count me in yet for the cebt but dont count me out yet
either

> > & ps
> > good thinking to make & keep the cebt expedition a veritable
> > t r i p
> > as well as an expedition
> >
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Peter Hering
> > <hering@m...> wrote:
> > > To all BP members:
> > >
> > > this is a notification that a new file has been added to the
> > > file section of BP:
> > >
> > > The "CEBT" (Central European Border Trip) will take place
in
> > > week 33, from SUND August 8 to SUND August 15 = 8
days/7