Subject: Re: tripoints & sector boundaries Berlin, was: Bar divided betw. US + CA
Date: Mar 23, 2004 @ 16:34
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

ok wolfie
is that you
i knew you would come thru for this

so we are really talking 1945frgbsu1991 on the one hand
& 1945gbsuus1972 plus 1972gbsuus1991 on the other
arent we
or 3 sectoral tripoints in all for turtle
if he would only stick his head up again

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "anorak222"
<listen@w...> wrote:
> Regarding tripoints: Yes there were two.
>
> 1. SU/FR/UK sectors, near the port "Nordhafen" in the canal
> "Spandauer Schiffahrtskanal"
>
> 2. SU/UK/US sectors, at Potsdamer Platz
>
> Point #2 moved some 500 meters as a result of the small
territorial
> exchanges in 1972, when amongst others territory near
Potsdamer Platz
> was handed from East to West. The circumstances of these
exchanges
> have been discussed here before, so I won't reiterate.
>

> Regarding exact sector boundaries:
>
> It'd get a bit lengthy to list all streets here, but it's easy for
> anyone to find out themselves if you know how to. The
boundaries were
> identical to those of the administrative boroughs. These
boroughs
> were laid down in 1920 and were almost unchanged until
2001 (barring
> minor changes here and there, some as part of East/West
territorial
> changes, some for mere administrative reasons over the
years). So get
> a pre-2001 city map (some are even on the map) (but not a
more recent
> one as boroughs were significantly changed in 2001) and look
up the
> borough names:
>
> French: Reinickendorf & Wedding
> British: Tiergarten, Spandau, Wilmersdorf, Charlottenburg
> American: Steglitz, Zehlendorf, Schöneberg, Tempelhof,
Kreuzberg,
> Neukölln
> Soviet: Pankow, Weißensee, Prenzlauer Berg, Friedrichshain,
Mitte,
> Lichtenberg, Marzahn, Hellersdorf, Hohenschönhausen,
Treptow,
> Köpenick
>
> The only one visible in daily life was of course the one of the
> Soviet sector with the other three. The boundaries between
> French/British and British/American sectors were completely
invisible.

> BTW note vocabulary: Withing Berlin you speak of sectors, not
zones.
> Occupation zones were the occupation territories of all
Germany.

<jesniel@i...>
> wrote:
> > It's actually a very interesting question, which I would like to
> know the answer to myself.
> >
> > I am not strong withjin Berlin, but there are quite some Berlin
> people in the group.
> >
> > A tripoint is where the borders meet, looks like there were
two on
> the center of Berlin : http://www.uoregon.edu/~map
> place/EU/EU03-ColdWar/03-B.jpg

Berlin.