Subject: Re: cnkpru - more pictures
Date: Feb 07, 2004 @ 10:15
Author: pete2784west ("pete2784west" <petter.brabec@...>)

As I understand it: The border marker 423 is originally Russian-
chinese only, but probably for the convenience of setting up a
borderline which ends in the middle of the river Tumen, this border
marker is taken as a starting point (cf. art.1). From this point the
line is perpendicular to the Chinese-korean borderline formed by the
middle of the main channel of the river Tumen. The waters of the
river behind the borderline going from border marker 423 to the
middle of the river are called "joint boundary water area of China
and Korea DPR". So the waters are joint, and it makes it easier for
the Korean border guards to shoot at people fleeing the country as
long as they are in the river, but once they get on the shore they
are in China only. The Chinese-korean borderline goes all the way
through the middle of the river channel up to the point where
Russia, China and KoreaDPR meet. Further down the stream of Tumen
river continues Russian-korean borderline being placed again in the
middle of the course of the Tumen river. We are still talking about
waters, no land. The tripoints are placed on both sides of the
river, but they are standing on the sovereign territories, either
Russia, China or Korea. Art. 4 states that every country is having
responsibility for one border marker each. The picture of
bordermarker 3 I've seen here, is Russian responsibility.

So, reaching a tripoint here means getting wet and go fishing. From
border marker no.1 on a straight line perpendicular to the middle of
the stream of the river Tumen, 306,9 m in to the water. Anyone
should feel pretty safe then :-). Then, still following the line,
one should get to the shores of the Korea DPR and hit the border
marker no.2. When still in the water and keeping the line aiming at
border marker no. 2, to the right you are still in the joint Chinese-
korean joint boundary water area. To the left you are still in the
water, but whether Russians and Koreans agreed to something similiar
as the chines and koreans, I don't know.

I'm not clear about why the third border marker has been set up on
the Russian territory and whether this border marker is placed on
the same borderline drawn between border marker no. 1 (on Chinese-
russian border) and no. 2 (in Korea). This is why the final protocol
from 2002 is still needed.

Petter

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Michael Kaufman