Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: roundabouts
Date: Jan 26, 2004 @ 18:50
Author: Doug Murray (Doug Murray <doug@...>)

Do roundabouts that are created by crazy drivers count?
I seem to recall going on a circular drive around the marker for
Yugoslavia-Hungary-Romania in a white van.
It was driven by a certain Austrian and filled with people from places
like Finland and America.
I believe it was the GEEBE in 2002.
In essence, you could exit into any one of the three countries.
However, I believe the entire journey was illegal.
And, there was no road either... :)

On Monday, January 26, 2004, at 07:30 AM, Peter Smaardijk wrote:

> [...]
> >
> > And in keeping with our border theme, here is an international
> > roundabout on the German - Netherlands border in Kerkrade,
> > NL/Herzogenrath, DE.
> >
> > http://grenzen.150m.com/kerkradeGB.htm
> >
> > Thanks, BK!
> >
> > Doug
> >
> > On Monday, January 26, 2004, at 02:25 AM, bwhyte@u... wrote:
> >
> > > Even in gridded streets roundabout are indeed useful. They do not
> have
> > > to be large. where two small residential streets cross here in
> > > Melbourne, a small roundabout only a few metres across might be
> > > installed. It eases traffic flow considerably. In LA where two
> streets
> > > crossed, one would have stop or give way/yield signs on both its
> arms
> > > and the other would flow freely. Or sometimes all 4 arms of the
> > > intersection would have stop signs. In LA this meant the first
> car to
> > > the intersection had right of way. Here in Australia 4 arms with
> stop
> > > signs means the first car gets right of way then everything
> behind him
> > > also, with everyone else giving way to the right.
> > > But by adding a roundabout, it allows everyone to slow, and go
> round,
> > > coming off where they want. No more cars turning right blocking
> lanes
> > > when they give way to through traffic.
> > >
> > > Roundabouts are traffic calming measures and might be large ones
> used
> > > where major roads meet, like in the posted pictures, or just
> small
> > > ones on fairly quiet local streets requiring no more room than
> the
> > > streets already used before the roundabout was built.
> > >
> > > I recall someone in LA mentioning California didn't have
> roundabouts
> > > for some legal reason: fear of crashes when people couldn't use
> them
> > > properly, and so the city didn't want the liability.
> > >
> > > I believe in France, ie Arc de Triomphe, the roundabout traffic
> gives
> > > way to incoming traffic. Hence the infamous gridlocks there.
> > >
> > > Here in  Australia/NZ, incoming gives way on the right to traffic
> on
> > > the roundabout, just as at any other intersection.
> > >

> > > I've seen roundabouts that are no more than a tyre size in
> diameter
> > > (one, in Malaysia i think, was just that: a tyre around a pole in
> the
> > > middle of the intersection, more of a fender/bumper for the pole,
> than
> > > a roundabout!
> > >
> > <image.tiff>
> > >
> > > Yahoo! Groups Links
> > >
> > > •       To visit your group on the web, go to:
> > >
> > > •       To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
> > >
> > > •       Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of

<image.tiff>