Subject: Re: ghost memorial to a ghost rock of an abortive mxus
Date: Dec 17, 2003 @ 17:08
Author: orc@orcoast.com (orc@...)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Mike,
>
> Many such survey parties hauled into the field a pre-engraved rock
for placement
> at the appropriate spot. After this line was repudiated, perhaps
they removed
> the rock for reuse at the next selected point.

i would give your removal idea more than a perhaps
since i am unaware of any standing bogus rock anywhere in the world
& imagine rocks of this sort must be assiduously eliminated by
whichever party eventually gains possession of them

& that alone is really why i think i set myself a fools errand from
the start

but i would not give your reuse idea half a perhaps
since such stones are usually dated & treaty specific & even survey
specific
& several years & agreements had elapsed in this case

Since the negotiations stalled
> until after the Gadsden Purchase rendered it moot, it might have
never seen
> reuse. Perhaps, though, it might eventually have been used to mark
the
> departure of the post-Gadsden MXUS line from the Rio Grande when
that line was
> surveyed in 1855. Both surveys were superintended for the US by
William Hemsley
> Emory.

yes
looks like emory must have been the missing 4th commissioner & the
ultimate abortionist in my imaginary reconstruction of the pseudomxus
yesterday

but again
i gotta figure the 1855 survey must have had its own hardware
& no need to scrounge nor desire to confound things further
least of all on emorys part

so i imagine the only remaining mysteries are probably
who yanked the bogus rock when & why
& these are probably beyond human recall or report
tho the answers could well be
emory in 1855 as ordered by the usgovt

for i would go that far in my own supposition
so er you may not want to waste any more of your time on this