Subject: Re: ghost memorial to a ghost rock of an abortive mxus
Date: Dec 28, 2003 @ 20:43
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

but it keeps getting better

yesterday as i was heading here to radium springs by a new route
slipping north from las cruces a good mile west of the rio
i chanced on a peculiar roadside historical plaque mounted on an equally
strange masonry pedestal
& it was so weird & insignificant looking that i almost overlooked it
but since i knew this was a hot area
i turned back to read what it said
just in case
& sure enough it said

on 21 april 1851 members of the joint boundary commission of the usa &
mexico assembled here & declared this point to mark the southern boundary of
new mexico in accordance with the provisions of the treaty of guadalupe
hidalgo

erected as a memorial to the pioneer surveyors of 2 nations by the nm assn of
surveyors & mappers feb 1988

so this must be the location of the ghost rock
as well as a confirmation it no longer exists
but also a confirmation that i have indeed made my fools errand point
however unintentionally & however far from where i expected to find it

topozone gives the latitude as 32d21m58s
for the position as centered here
http://topozone.com/map.asp?z=13&n=3582548&e=325282&u=6&datum=nad
83
or in other words 2 seconds off the intended 32d22m00s line
but the error could as easily be a topozone quirk as a survey lapse

anyway nice to see it is so close to perfect

the existence of this plaque may also explain why someone
perhaps the mentioned nmas&m responsible for erecting it
tried to obliterate the apparently contradictory historical marker that was found
& reported earlier a couple miles away & on the wrong side of the river
& which led to this whole wild rock chase of mine & surprise ending

still better
when i got to the hot springs
or rather in the course of our usual nights drinking & bathing here
my hosts jeff & david finally offered to drive my stash past the guard post for
me in their pickup truck
the obvious solution
since they look like locals & wont ring all the alarm bells my profile & record will

so now we are planning to do just this
a little later in the afternoon today in fact

& this should probably change all my other plans in favor of taking advantage of
this opportunity of making good my escape

& with luck my next report will be not from las cruces or this crazy old computer
of jeffs here in radium springs nor even from el paso with the ibwc research
but from somewhere entirely outside this clave & back in the metropole of the
usa