Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: ghost memorial to a ghost rock of an abortive mxus
Date: Dec 17, 2003 @ 05:34
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike,

Many such survey parties hauled into the field a pre-engraved rock for placement
at the appropriate spot. After this line was repudiated, perhaps they removed
the rock for reuse at the next selected point. Since the negotiations stalled
until after the Gadsden Purchase rendered it moot, it might have never seen
reuse. Perhaps, though, it might eventually have been used to mark the
departure of the post-Gadsden MXUS line from the Rio Grande when that line was
surveyed in 1855. Both surveys were superintended for the US by William Hemsley
Emory.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA