Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: PRVI
Date: Dec 17, 2003 @ 04:54
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike,

Even though the Convention on the Contiguous Zone, etc. was intended for
international boundaries, it has been officially anointed by the Supremes as
their guiding principles for the interpretation of internal US boundaries.
Therefore, I think that it would probably govern this situation. I have not
searched out the historic origins of the respective PR and VI claims; but if
they descend from respective Spanish and Danish claims from prior to American
acquisition of these dependencies, then the international standard would be
quite appropriate. Can you elucidate us on the origins of the claims? Is the
Submerged Lands Act involved here?

Because I wrote my message on PRVI without a good map of the region, I obviously
didn't realize that the VI 3nm limit would not reach a median line. While that
does make it a bit complicated, I think that in such a situation the median line
should still stand as an absolute limit for the jurisdiction with the wider
waters. To do otherwise (by allowing wrap-around or any sort of
proportionality) would forever preclude the jurisdiction with the narrower claim
from ever exercising a claim as wide as the other.

My tentative scheme would indeed interpose a band of federal waters between the
median line and the VI 3nm arc. It is tentative, and it could be wrong.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA