Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Boundaries through urban areas
Date: Nov 07, 2003 @ 20:56
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

This situation comes down to what exactly does and does not constitute a
condominium. In the beginning of this discussion, I said that it is "something
of a condominium."

First: The Bi-state Criminal Justice Center Compact creates what can be
described as a condominium of non-exclusive concurrent jurisdictions, but it
also speaks of the "geographical boundary" and "geographical areas" of the
states within the center--even as it negates all practical effects of the same.
To quote the compact, each state "hereby relinquishes exclusive jurisdiction
over the portion of the plant and facility of the Bi-State Criminal Justice
Center which is located within the geographical boundary of the said state, [and
they] hereby recognize the existence of concurrent jurisdiction over the
geographical areas of both states which are within the Bi-State Criminal Justice
Center."

Second: I was under the impression (from the clear wording of the US
Constitution in the last clause of Article 1, section 10) that all interstate
compacts required the consent of the Congress. I had not figured on the Supreme
Court's 1893 decision otherwise in Virginia v. Tennessee (148 U.S. 503), that
only some interstate compacts require the consent of Congress. Section 10 of
the BCJC Compact says that it is effective when enacted into law by both states.
No mention is made of the Congress.

Third: In the case of Wyatt v. State ( http://tinyurl.com/u3za ), the Court of
Criminal Appeals of Texas dealt with some of these questions. Wyatt was a
corrections officer for Bowie County, Texas, who raped and killed a little boy
in Texas in 1997. While voluntarily within the BCJC, he was questioned by Texas
authorities in the Arkansas portion of the building, where he confessed and was
arrested. On appeal, his lawyer sought to have the confession and arrest
suppressed because they had occurred in Arkansas and to have the statutes
authorizing Texas jurisdiction throughout the building declared unconstitutional
for lack of Congressional consent to change the state boundary. The court
upheld Wyatt's conviction and sentence to death by lethal injection, stating
that the laws clearly authorized Texas jurisdiction throughout the building, but
that "The language of the statute does not attempt to alter the state borders."

So, the BCJC might properly be called a jurisdictional condominium, but not a
geographical condominium--if such a distinction could be admitted. While this
might leave us without any new tripoints in the strictest sense, there are still
tripoints at the junctions of exclusive Arkansas jurisdiction, exclusive Texas
jurisdiction, and the concurrent jurisdiction of both. However imperfect the
BCJC might be as a condominium, it is still unique in this country.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA