Subject: Re: Boundaries through urban areas
Date: Nov 07, 2003 @ 21:53
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

well this keeps sliding downhill in a way
because there actually is also a port of njny authority condo
& many similarly functional condos by other names
jurisdictional & otherwise
so on reflection i dont think this situation is really up to our
highest standards
tho your research certainly is top flite
& i appreciate the clarity

also i think there may be another constitutional provision that says
any dispute resolved by the supreme court is not subject the
congressional approval

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> This situation comes down to what exactly does and does not
constitute a
> condominium. In the beginning of this discussion, I said that it
is "something
> of a condominium."
>
> First: The Bi-state Criminal Justice Center Compact creates what
can be
> described as a condominium of non-exclusive concurrent
jurisdictions, but it
> also speaks of the "geographical boundary" and "geographical areas"
of the
> states within the center--even as it negates all practical effects
of the same.
> To quote the compact, each state "hereby relinquishes exclusive
jurisdiction
> over the portion of the plant and facility of the Bi-State Criminal
Justice
> Center which is located within the geographical boundary of the
said state, [and
> they] hereby recognize the existence of concurrent jurisdiction
over the
> geographical areas of both states which are within the Bi-State
Criminal Justice
> Center."
>
> Second: I was under the impression (from the clear wording of the
US
> Constitution in the last clause of Article 1, section 10) that all
interstate
> compacts required the consent of the Congress. I had not figured
on the Supreme
> Court's 1893 decision otherwise in Virginia v. Tennessee (148 U.S.
503), that
> only some interstate compacts require the consent of Congress.
Section 10 of
> the BCJC Compact says that it is effective when enacted into law by
both states.
> No mention is made of the Congress.
>
> Third: In the case of Wyatt v. State ( http://tinyurl.com/u3za ),
the Court of
> Criminal Appeals of Texas dealt with some of these questions.
Wyatt was a
> corrections officer for Bowie County, Texas, who raped and killed a
little boy
> in Texas in 1997. While voluntarily within the BCJC, he was
questioned by Texas
> authorities in the Arkansas portion of the building, where he
confessed and was
> arrested. On appeal, his lawyer sought to have the confession and
arrest
> suppressed because they had occurred in Arkansas and to have the
statutes
> authorizing Texas jurisdiction throughout the building declared
unconstitutional
> for lack of Congressional consent to change the state boundary.
The court
> upheld Wyatt's conviction and sentence to death by lethal
injection, stating
> that the laws clearly authorized Texas jurisdiction throughout the
building, but
> that "The language of the statute does not attempt to alter the
state borders."

> So, the BCJC might properly be called a jurisdictional condominium,
but not a
> geographical condominium--if such a distinction could be admitted.
While this