Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Shortest border??
Date: Sep 15, 2003 @ 22:47
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Yes, the term "Vatican City State" is undoubtedly redundant in this case, but
the official name of the political entity is "Stato della Cittá del Vaticano."
That's why I called it the State of the Vatican City.

I've done a bit of research on the difference between the Vatican City and the
Holy See. The Holy See (nothing more nor less than the institution of the
Papacy itself) has claimed sovereignty for a very long time (because it
considered itself above the laws of mere countries), and it once ruled extensive
territories as what we could call a real country. When it lost the last of
those territories in 1870, it continued to function as a landless sovereign
entity (very much like the current status of SMOM), conducting diplomacy and
making treaties with Catholic nations as if nothing had happened. When
Mussolini restored its territorial sovereignty over the Church's premises on the
Vatican Hill in Rome, the current political state of Vatican City came into
being as a country. Its flag differs slightly from that of the Holy See in that
the positions of the gold and silver keys are swapped. Why, then, do the USA,
some other countries not primarily Catholic, and some not even Christian
recognize and conduct diplomatic relations with the Holy See rather than with
the Stato della Cittá del Vaticano? It is because the latter refuses to conduct
diplomacy, referring all such matters to the Holy See--thus to prop up the
Papacy's claim to sovereignty apart from whatever territorial jurisdiction(s) it
might have in any given century.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA