Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] ozark county govt just yells up from the next holler
Date: Aug 25, 2003 @ 23:44
Author: Lowell G. McManus ("Lowell G. McManus" <mcmanus71496@...>)

Mike,

If I understand you correctly, I think that you have the lines reversed. The
stepped boundary is the oral de facto line, while the de jure line wanders
through the mountains to the northwest. As the newspaper article puts it: "The
mountain ridges that form the legal boundary are just northwest of the accepted
Yell-Logan county line that appears on current state maps as a jagged series of
steps." The stepped boundary shown on the topo maps is the accepted de facto
boundary.

I have an atlas called THE ROADS OF ARKANSAS from Shearer Publishing. It
depicts the entire state at a scale of one-half inch to the mile. It shows both
boundaries. The wandering boundary to the northwest is unlabeled, but the
stepped one to the southeast has notes in three paces that say "County line as
agreed upon for tax collection purposes." I have been through the area on
Arkansas 309, and the highway county-line signs are on the stepped agreed-upon
boundary.

I'll try to scan and post part of the map, if I can make the file small enough
and still retain legibility.

Lowell G. McManus
Leesville, Louisiana, USA