Subject: Re: The IBWC speaks!!!
Date: Jul 02, 2003 @ 23:06
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Lowell G. McManus"
<mcmanus71496@m...> wrote:
> Yes, but it only has three sentences about the 1970 treaty.
>
> I had not previously found the minutes. Thanks. I am now
beginning to
> investigate them. You might be interested to see 1987
minutes regarding the
> initial monumentation of two new bridges at
> www.ibwc.state.gov/Files/Minutes/Min275.pdf . It cites authority
of the 1970
> treaty and its provisions that the boundary on bridges "shall be
shown by an
> appropriate monument exactly over the international boundary."

aha
& doesnt this wording
whether intended or not
also establish a boundary point exactly under every such marker
as long as that marker exists
regardless of where the rest of international boundary may
subsequently wander

> Interestingly,
> the Commission found that the axis of each bridge was
skewed in relation to the
> boundary, so it required the builders to place two monuments
on each bridge.

aha
i have seen these on bridge railings or edges
& dont they then mark
besides the path of the boundary across the bridge
the paths of its lateral displacements from the living thalweg
precisely along these railings or edges

so i think they have inadvertently given us 2 smoking guns here
settling the matter once & for all
against any possible de jure vertical differentiation of sovereignty
without ever really meaning to address the matter

it just hasnt dawned on them yet

> I will continue to browse the minutes and report on any
interesting morsels.

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/