Subject: Re: Border Towns Eye Canadian Plan to Lessen Penalty for Pot Use
Date: Jun 13, 2003 @ 16:48
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

thanx bill
another beauty
& thanx also for your state of the art
hence presumably mind over matter
repair of the search engine

& did you notice our newest arrival slip in the other night
cant wait to hear from her

meantime some intertwingling below

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Bill Hanrahan"
<hanrahan@k...> wrote:
> Jun 13, 2003
> Border Towns Eye Canadian Plan to Lessen Penalty for Pot
Use
> By Krista Larson
> Associated Press Writer
>
> SWANTON, Vt. (AP) - Some of Nicole Cook's classmates in
this town less than
> 10 miles from the Canadian border already head north on
weekends because
> it's legal for 18-year-olds to drink in Quebec.
>
> And as the Canadian government debates whether to
decriminalize the
> possession of small amounts of marijuana, Cook worries
such a move would
> encourage more teens to head north.
>
> "I think it's a massive danger because I've heard of so many
people and I
> know of so many people that have gone to Canada and done
that and come back
> and gotten in car accidents and stuff," said Cook, 17, a student
at
> Missisquoi Valley Union High School.

this well meaning young lady
emulating & indeed already resembling all the other fearful
guarded vulnerablethinking people who make laws forbidding
everything they dread
is forgetting one thing

resistance doesnt diminish its object but only increases it
oops

also another thing
she who stays happy goes lucky including safe anyway
oops

& finally still another thing
there are no victims
all injuries are self inflicted
& all deaths are suicides
nor is there even any such thing as death anyway
so powerful are we in reality
oops

& once she & her mentors realize how wonderful they actually
are & how perfect everything actually already is even without
these laws & perhaps ultimately without any laws
we will all be able to relax a little more into our true human
birthright & destiny

yet no matter really
since that is a foregone conclusion anyway
& just a matter of time til we do so

& we have all the time in the world too
so there isnt even any need for activism
& certainly no call to oppose our opposers
nor disallow our disallowers

on the contrary

> While marijuana possession would remain illegal under the
proposed Canadian
> legislation, those found with 15 grams (about a half ounce) or
less would
> receive a citation akin to a traffic ticket. Maximum fines for that
amount
> would range from roughly $182 for those under 18 to
approximately $292 for
> adults.
>
> The possession of similar amounts of marijuana in Vermont is
a misdemeanor
> punishable on a first offense by up to six months in jail, a $500
fine or
> both.
>
> "We're trying to discourage drug use and trying to make people
more aware
> that it's not OK, and then Canada is just kind of like, it's a slap
on the
> hand and you move on," said Cook, who is involved in drug
prevention efforts
> at her school.
>
> Marijuana use in Vermont is higher than the national average,
according to
> Marcia LaPlante of the state Health Department.

yes i have always felt vermont is a leading state of mind too
even without this added awareness

> "I think regardless of what happens in Canada, we know
marijuana is an issue
> here," she said.
>
> Crossing into Canada is common for those in the northern part
of the state,
> sometimes with tragic consequences. In 1998, four Vermont
teenagers were
> killed in a car accident after partying in Quebec.
>
> But some view the proposed legislation and the differences
between Canadian
> and American laws as an opportunity for educating teens
about the dangers of
> driving while impaired by drugs.

all the supposedly objective evidence & all my vast subjective
experience tell me that taking one & only one toke may well be
the very best thing one can possibly do for ones driving

& after an hour & a snack &or catnap
perhaps a second toke
etc

the main thing of course is to feel as good & safe as possible

> "Just because you're not going to get a criminal record, doesn't
mean that
> you can drive any better for getting home," said Susan Lloyd, a
counselor at
> Missisquoi. "So that's a danger with marijuana just like it is
with
> drinking."
>
> Under the Canadian legislation, driving while impaired by
drugs remains a
> criminal offense; a working group there is currently looking at
the issue of
> detecting drivers suspected of drug use. Options under
consideration include
> asking suspects to perform physical tests or to give urine
samples.

> Ultimately, helping teens make the best decisions regarding
drug use will
> involve focusing on issues that are important regardless of
whether Canada
> changes its law, said Beth Crane, co-coordinator of Franklin
County Caring
> Communities, a St. Albans-based drug prevention coalition.
>
> "It's really key not only to focus on the consequences of using,
but the
> value of not using and seeking other ways to challenge
boredom, to challenge
> stress, to challenge all of those things that teens struggle with
in a rural
> community," she said.

i certainly agree less is more in all these cases as usual
but why challenge anything

question everything perhaps
but what would be the point of challenging anything
unless one were deliberately trying to go 180 degrees off point
in relation to ones pursuit of happiness