Subject: saved an hour
Date: May 21, 2003 @ 11:26
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

how so len
or do you just mean you will call it a day now without bothering to
fulfill on your latest promise
or on the latest hope you offered of definitively underwhelming
the 209 meter border candidate previously identified at baarle
now that brendan has weighed in on these matters personally

in any event the try continues
with full whoops & yoicks

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "L. A. Nadybal"

<orc@o...> wrote:
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, Brendan Whyte
> > <bwhyte@u...> wrote:
> > > Ellis Island:
> > >
> > > thousandths of a foot? Is this the US going metric without
> > going metric? I
> > > don't think I've ever seen ruler with 10ths of an inch (only
8ths
> > and
> > > 16ths), let alone 1000ths.
> > >
> > > Do you have coords for these points Michael? Where did
they
> > come from?
> >
> > this is the supreme court granting its decree on 17may1999
> > upon the final report of the special master in the njny case
> > which it had decided the previous year as 526us589
> > all very probably influenced by the gis technology that was
used

> > so i dont think you will necessarily find any decimal foot
rulers
> > tho i should tell you decimal inch rulers have long been
> > commonplace in the usa
> >
> > anyway in this case
> > a starting point was given in both metric coords &
degminsecdec
> > to wit nad83 nlat 40d41m54s92285 & wlong
74d02m23s75137
> > & note the hundred thousandths of a second here
> >
> > then a sequence of 182 loxodromes in degminsec & tenths
only
> > or at least i think they are proper loxodromes
> > with the lengths of each being given in feet & thousandths
only
> > thus the first being n42d10m59s1w
> > for 61 feet & 150 thousandths
> > & the second being n45d24m54s6w
> > for 60 feet & 990 thousandths
> > etc etc etc
> > til supposedly returning punctiliously to the same starting
point
> > as indicated also on the blueprint map accompanying the
text

> > it might be fun to check the math tho
> > for the composite inaccuracy if any
> >
> > more below
> >
> > > Baarle:

> > candidates

> > loveren
> > >
> > > At one time I posted a map of Baarle labelling the enclaves
N1
> > ot N8 and H1
> > > to H22. The Louvren enclave of Belgium is H7. It is the
> > smallest in area
> > > (2469sq metres, or 0.2469ha). The next smallest in area is
> > H22, the enclave
> > > formed in 1995 in the far west of the commune of
> > Baarle-Nassau, from
> > > one-third of a field (not shown on the map you linked to).
H22
> > is 0.2632ha.
> > > Perimetrically, the order swaps. H7 has a perimeter of
214m,
> > but H22 has a
> > > smaller perimeter (because it's almost square, not
irregular) of
> > 209m.
> > > These figures are taken direct from the 1995 minute which
> > delimited the
> > > enclaves to the nearest cm, and their areas and perimeters
> > the nearest
> > > (sq) metre.
> > >
> > > The military map of Baarle, on Barry Smith's site that you
linked
> > to is a
> > > standard topo map of Baarle, drawn by the Belgian
IGM=Institut
> > Geographique
> > > Militaire. This has since been renamed the IGN=Inst. Geog.
> > National. This
> > > particular IGM map dates from the 1960s I believe, when
the
> > exact number
> > > and boundaries of the enclaves were unknown. It is only
since
> > 1995 that we
> > > have a formal delimitation and can say how many enclaves
> > there are, how
> > > large, and what their perimeters are. Because of this, the
small
> > enclave SW
> > > of the word 'mast' between K12 and K13 is fictitious. I
spoke
> > with someone
> > > at Baarle (I forget who: probably a chap at the Cadastre in
> > Breda), who
> > > agreed it was an error on the map (just as the current
Dutch
> > topo maps of
> > > Baarle are incorrect too, misplacing H22 for example).
> > >
> > > So, the smallest enclave at Baarle has a 209m perimeter,
and
> > is H22, the
> > > new one in the far west.
> >
> > wonderful
> > thank you
> > so this is the boundary length to beat
> > at cooch behar
> > or around bwnazmzw if it is ever settled
> > or anywhere that it can be beat
> >
> > > As for Cooch Behar, there are enclaves there as small as
> > 0.27acres.
> >
> > ok
> > this smallest cooch behar clave is thus probably the
smallest
> > international clave in the whole world too then
> > or wouldnt you agree
> >
> > but more below
> >
> > > As
> > > there are 2.47 acres per ha, this gives it an area of
0.1093ha,
> > or 1093sq
> > > metres. I have no idea of its true shape, but if square, it
would
> > have
> > > sides of 33m, and a perimeters of 4x33m=132m. It is
probably
> > not square,
> > > but will not be highly irregular either, as the edges of the
> > enclaves
> > > mostly follow rice paddy bunds (known locally as 'ails': see
my
> > thesis),
> > > which are generally rectangular in shape.
> >
> > if we can confirm completely geodetic bounds for this baby
> > &or for any of its near sizemates
> > then i think we probably do have the basis for proceeding
further
> > toward either proclaiming it outright
> > or selecting the most promising single or several candidates
for
> > shortest border in the world
> >
> > but its or their perimeters would all have to be individually
> > measured or computed
> > since area & perimeter can be out of all proportion to each
other

> > for the time being
> > i agree we have about an 8 to 5 shot on cooch behar to win
> > but i believe this still is & will remain a horse race
> > until all the details are known
> >
> > which practically forces me to ask you brendan
> > do you think you even can nail the necessary final data down
> > for purposes of definitely answering the question
> >
> > or are these details likely to remain as murky &
imponderable as
> > the already outstanding question about the suspected
second
> > cooch behar border cross
> >
> > both are fairly lively & worthy questions in my opinion
> > if you can think of how any more progress can be made on
them

> > > If the Zim/Zam/Bot/Nam boundary turns out to be a point, it
will
> > be the
> > > shortest in the world, and if the lines don't meet at a point, it
> will
> > > still be a strong contender.
> > >
> > > but for the moment, despite the lack of precision, Cooch
Behar