Subject: Re: NYNJ - My take
Date: May 15, 2003 @ 21:29
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

excuse me kevin but upon further reflection & more careful
review of the 1998 njny ellis case outline or syllabus
http://supct.law.cornell.edu/supct/html/1200RIG.ZS.html
with particular attention to terms like sovereign authority &
territory & boundary
i believe all your questions & concerns do get answered
by just these findings & rulings of the supreme court itself
which now in retrospect seem to have been extremely attentive to
most if not all of the issues you have raised
or do you still not agree

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> yes
> as i said before
> my incomprehension is staggering
> & continues to be
> so i am not really surprised to learn that i misunderstood
>
> but if i could ask
> are you talking about the njny situation only in 1834
> or today also
>
> & do you suppose the situation has or hasnt variously &
> fundamentally changed in the interim
>
> & do you realize the recent supreme court ruling was about the
> njny interstate boundary on ellis island
>
> & what if anything are you trying to determine or say about the
> state line or lines in 2003
>
> & do you think state & county jurisdictions are the same thing
> differing only in scale & scope
> or are they as intrinsically different from each other as
> say
> sovereign power & administrative responsibility
>

> i do appreciate the denver mountain parks as rare birds tho
> & liberty & ellis islands as different rare birds
> not at all of the same species
> perhaps not even of the same genus
>
> but in any case i dont believe i can answer your latest
questions
> even if i understood them better
> so feel free to answer mine or not
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Flynn, Kevin"
> <flynnk@r...> wrote:
> > No, you misunderstood: In the Denver example, the city -- not
> the respective
> > counties -- has jurisdiction over its parkland which is well
> outside the
> > city in at least three other counties, not the other way around.
> That was
> > the analogy I was drawing. Denver has police and other
> governmental powers
> > outside its boundaries in mountain parks that are located in
> other counties.
> >
> > This has been my difficulty with the NY-NJ situation.
> >
> > The compact and everything derived from it establishes *two*
> levels of
> > interest, that of right of property (establishing which land is
part
> of the
> > respective states -- not actually "ownership" of property) IN
> ADDITION TO
> > the right of exclusive jurisdiction, which seems to be
> something less. What
> > I am wondering is whether this right of jurisdiction leads one
> say that
> > original Ellis -- while totally governed and maintained and
ruled
> by NY, as
> > noted, from well established custom and practice even
before
> 1834 -- is
> > simply a piece of NJ that is ruled by NY. This appears to be
the
> simplest
> > explanation -- Occam's Razor.
> >
> > That's because to simply say, no it's actually part of NY, flies
in
> the face
> > of the other provisions of the compact with regard to property
> vs.
> > jurisdiction rights. To say the island is an actual part of NY
> state and not
> > just a "colony" outside NY boundaries sets up a contradiction
> that no one
> > here has been able to resolve.
> >
> > To wit: Clearly, the boundary line between the two states is
the
> middle of
> > the Hudson River and on out through the Bay (right of
property).
> So
> > everything west of the line is NJ. HOWEVER: it is also
> stipulated that NY
> > has exclusive jurisdiction (note: the language in the compact
is
> > jurisdiction, not property) *even west of the middle* -- in NJ --
> over the
> > surface waters and the islands. In other words, when talking
> about the
> > surface waters, clearly the compact says NY has jurisdiction
> over NJ
> > territory!! This same language is used for the islands as well
--
> which to
> > me implies the same thing -- that the compact officially
codified
> NY's
> > "jurisdiction" over pieces of NJ territory, without actually
> conveying the
> > "right of property" that would make the islands truly a part of
NY
> state.
> > For if this language is taken to mean the islands are a literal
> (and
> > littoral in this case -- haha) part of NY state, then why should
> the same
> > language be construed as making the surface waters up to
the
> NJ shoreline a
> > part of NY state too?
> >
> > You see? If that were true, there would be no boundary line
> down the middle
> > of the river -- it's a contradiction.
> >
> > Note that NJ maintains its jurisdiction over subsurface lands
--
> the
> > submerged land that later was filled to become the larger
part
> of Ellis Is.
> >
> > My point is, both cannot be true if we are to regard Ellis as
part
> of NY
> > state and not merely a colony of sorts of NY within NJ. How
can
> the boundary
> > be the middle of the river, yet NY has jurisdiction up to the NJ
> riverbank?
> > This makes no sense if, as you would have us, we read the
> rights of property
> > and the right of jurisdiction as meaning the same essential
> thing.
> >
> > I maintain that they do not mean the same thing; if the writers
> meant the
> > same thing by the two terms, they would have used one
single
> term.
> >
> > So how can the water flowing down the west side of the
> Hudson be in NJ but
> > NY has jurisdiction over them, and this is completely
> understandable, yet
> > the same language is used regarding the islands in the bay
> but we hold them
> > to be part of NY state and not just a colony?

interstate
> > boundaries were the supremes talking about
> >
> > --- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Flynn, Kevin"
> > <flynnk@r...> wrote:
> > > No, your assumption is incorrect. Jurisdiction (in this case
of
> > NY over
> > > Ellis and Bedloes/Liberty and the surface of the Hudson
even
> > on the NJ side
> > > of the boundary, is *not* what makes something part of the
> > state of NY.
> > > That's what I've been trying to point out... If the islands are
> > indeed a
> > > part of NY state and not merely pockets of NY jurisdiction
> within
> > NJ
> > > territory then there must be some other instrument or
> mention
> > of it as a
> > > right of property.
> > >
> > > A somewhat analogous situation: The city and county of
> > Denver owns 14,000
> > > +/- acres of land in its Mountain Parks System, all of it well
> > outside the
> > > city borders up in Jefferson County, Douglas County and
> > elsewhere. It has
> > > jurisdiction over this land but it is not part of Denver County.

oppose
> > goverment

many