Subject: shortest state line derby update
Date: May 15, 2003 @ 17:18
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

rich castagna of njdep
creator of the new njny state line on ellis island
just called back confirming a final grand total of 182 turn points &
a final judgment & inception date of 17 may 1999

& he is actually mailing to me today from trenton the full point to
point to point legal description & official map

so it appears i will soon personally have the pleasure of both
measuring & computing the length of the full line for ourselves

& thus the anticipated photo finish between west kytn & njny ellis
will be taking place right here in our own face perhaps as early
as saturday afternoon

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "acroorca2002"
<orc@o...> wrote:
> while awaiting the official new jersey computation of the total
> length of the new njny state line on ellis island
> i have been anticipating & preparing for a photo finish
> between it & west kytn
> based just on my previous rough measurement of 3 miles for
> the latter & my much rougher sense that the 5 acre area
> enclosed by the former might have a perimeter length of about
3
> miles too
>

> but a more careful measurement of west kytn using the best
> available paper topos produced a length of 15899 feet
> or very slightly over 3 miles
>
> & a careful computation of west kytn performed by connecting
the
> best available geocoordinates of its presumptive terminal
points
> with a great circle arc came to 15787 feet
> or very slightly under 3 miles
>
> the difference of 112 feet between the measurement & the
> computation amounts to about a millimeter & a half on the
map