Subject: Re: NYNJ - My take
Date: May 15, 2003 @ 01:32
Author: acroorca2002 ("acroorca2002" <orc@...>)

yes
as i said before
my incomprehension is staggering
& continues to be
so i am not really surprised to learn that i misunderstood

but if i could ask
are you talking about the njny situation only in 1834
or today also

& do you suppose the situation has or hasnt variously &
fundamentally changed in the interim

& do you realize the recent supreme court ruling was about the
njny interstate boundary on ellis island

& what if anything are you trying to determine or say about the
state line or lines in 2003

& do you think state & county jurisdictions are the same thing
differing only in scale & scope
or are they as intrinsically different from each other as
say
sovereign power & administrative responsibility

i do appreciate the denver mountain parks as rare birds tho
& liberty & ellis islands as different rare birds
not at all of the same species
perhaps not even of the same genus

but in any case i dont believe i can answer your latest questions
even if i understood them better
so feel free to answer mine or not

--- In BoundaryPoint@yahoogroups.com, "Flynn, Kevin"
<flynnk@r...> wrote:
> No, you misunderstood: In the Denver example, the city -- not
the respective
> counties -- has jurisdiction over its parkland which is well
outside the
> city in at least three other counties, not the other way around.
That was
> the analogy I was drawing. Denver has police and other
governmental powers
> outside its boundaries in mountain parks that are located in
other counties.

> This has been my difficulty with the NY-NJ situation.
>
> The compact and everything derived from it establishes *two*
levels of
> interest, that of right of property (establishing which land is part
of the
> respective states -- not actually "ownership" of property) IN
ADDITION TO
> the right of exclusive jurisdiction, which seems to be
something less. What
> I am wondering is whether this right of jurisdiction leads one to
say that
> original Ellis -- while totally governed and maintained and ruled
by NY, as
> noted, from well established custom and practice even before
1834 -- is
> simply a piece of NJ that is ruled by NY. This appears to be the
simplest
> explanation -- Occam's Razor.
>
> That's because to simply say, no it's actually part of NY, flies in
the face
> of the other provisions of the compact with regard to property
vs.
> jurisdiction rights. To say the island is an actual part of NY
state and not
> just a "colony" outside NY boundaries sets up a contradiction
that no one
> here has been able to resolve.
>
> To wit: Clearly, the boundary line between the two states is the
middle of
> the Hudson River and on out through the Bay (right of property).
So
> everything west of the line is NJ. HOWEVER: it is also
stipulated that NY
> has exclusive jurisdiction (note: the language in the compact is
> jurisdiction, not property) *even west of the middle* -- in NJ --
over the
> surface waters and the islands. In other words, when talking
about the
> surface waters, clearly the compact says NY has jurisdiction
over NJ
> territory!! This same language is used for the islands as well --
which to
> me implies the same thing -- that the compact officially codified
NY's
> "jurisdiction" over pieces of NJ territory, without actually
conveying the
> "right of property" that would make the islands truly a part of NY
state.
> For if this language is taken to mean the islands are a literal
(and
> littoral in this case -- haha) part of NY state, then why should
the same
> language be construed as making the surface waters up to the
NJ shoreline a
> part of NY state too?
>
> You see? If that were true, there would be no boundary line
down the middle
> of the river -- it's a contradiction.
>
> Note that NJ maintains its jurisdiction over subsurface lands --
the
> submerged land that later was filled to become the larger part
of Ellis Is.

> My point is, both cannot be true if we are to regard Ellis as part
of NY
> state and not merely a colony of sorts of NY within NJ. How can
the boundary
> be the middle of the river, yet NY has jurisdiction up to the NJ
riverbank?
> This makes no sense if, as you would have us, we read the
rights of property
> and the right of jurisdiction as meaning the same essential
thing.

> I maintain that they do not mean the same thing; if the writers
meant the
> same thing by the two terms, they would have used one single
term.

> So how can the water flowing down the west side of the
Hudson be in NJ but
> NY has jurisdiction over them, and this is completely
understandable, yet
> the same language is used regarding the islands in the bay
but we hold them
> to be part of NY state and not just a colony?

mention
> of it as a
> > right of property.
> >
> > A somewhat analogous situation: The city and county of
> Denver owns 14,000
> > +/- acres of land in its Mountain Parks System, all of it well
> outside the
> > city borders up in Jefferson County, Douglas County and
> elsewhere. It has
> > jurisdiction over this land but it is not part of Denver County.

situation
> > that can't
> > > be answered by just saying,"well it's NY" or even "Well, it's
> NJ."
> > The
> > > surface of the Hudson River, for example, west of the
middle