Subject: Re: more maxipointing thoughts
Date: Jul 02, 2001 @ 09:12
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

I too think the best would be to use the ISO codes. But in order to
be both as brief and as unequivocally correct as possible, ISO-2
would be preferable, I think. This is the list that is commonly used
in domain names on the internet, after all. I don't think the ISO-3
list is longer and has more countries; it is just that each country
has an ISO-2 and ISO-3 abbreviation.

With language abbreviations, it is different. As there are far more
languages than countries, only important (the criterium "official"
also seems to play a role here) languages have both an ISO-2 and ISO-
3 abbreviation. All other languages (that have such abbreviations)
only have 3-alpha ones.

BTW: I wonder how South Africa got it's ZA. Dutch has been an
official language until some date in the beginning of the 20th
century (I forgot when exactly), but after that it was Afrikaans
instead of Dutch (besides English). And in Afrikaans it is not Zuid
Afrika, but Suid Afrika. It possibly became ZA because SA was already
issued (to Saudi Arabia).

As for aircraft: the Netherlands is PH, and Belgium is OO. And the US
are N. As codes for us they are completely senseless.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@h...> wrote:
> Sorry to dissapoint, Michael, but it was a South Africa, Namibia
Botswana
> point. Not Zambia.
> I used ZA for Zuid Afrika as the two letter abbreviation.
> I think 3letter abbreviations are easier to understand, than the 2-
letter
> codes.
> After all, New Zealand is commonly abvbreviated NZ, but on aircraft
and
> boats, the NZ letters are KZ. I don't know what Kazakhstan and
Kirgyzia use!
> There is no Bot/Nam/Zam tripoint..., probably, only a
Bot/Nam/Zim/Zam