Subject: Re: capital city info for Peter
Date: Jun 12, 2001 @ 22:24
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Apart from Amsterdam being the constitutionally defined capital of
the Netherlands, it is the only city that is called "city" as well,
by virtue of the former (Capital in Dutch is "hoofdstad",
meaning "main city"). Lots of localities have old (medieval) city
charters, but these don't have any legal powers (that I'm aware of,
anyway) anymore. The low administrative subdivision is the
municipality, and that's it. I know that in some countries (e.g.
Poland), there is a difference between municipalities and cities). In
Britain I have heard of cities getting a city charter in the 1970's
(I think one was Sheffield, although I'm not sure). Is there anything
legal/administrative attached to the honour of having the right to be
a city (other than perpetual glory)?

BTW: The Hague has been the seat of the government of the Netherlands
for most of the last four centuries, but hasn't always been the place
where the Queen/King lived. The mother of the present Queen Beatrix,
Queen Juliana, lived in a palace in the municipality of Baarn, and
her mother, Queen Wilhelmina, in a palace in the municipality of
Apeldoorn (apart from five years in London, of course, although I
don't know whether that was in the City or somewhere else...).

Peter S.