Subject: Re: Roetgen/Monschau enclaves
Date: Jun 06, 2001 @ 16:48
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

A good lesson for me not to believe everything on maps (and
subsequently post something here): the road is Bundesstrasse 258. On
the Belgian topo maps I have, all German Bundesstrassen, that should
have the letter B, get the letter N (like in Belgium) instead. Which
is absolutely wrong.

(N-numbers in the two hundreds in Belgium are found in Brussels and
both Belgian provinces of Brabant).

So it is even more like the Dutch N274 than I thought.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@y...> wrote:
> Btw: The road is the Bundesstrasse 258, meaning it is maintained by
> Federal services (L means Landstrasse, K means Kreisstrasse,
meaning
> they are under Fed. Land and District services, respectively). This
> road has been named N (=Nationalstrasse) 258 in Belgium, without
> changing the number. So B258 in de, and N258 in be. As you say, the
> road is maintained by Germany. A situation not unlike Dutch road
N274
> in Germany. I don't know whether this road also has a German
> designation.
>
> Peter S.
>
> --- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@h...> wrote:
> > The road junction from Roetgen (west) Monschau (south) and
> > Lammersdorf(east).
> > The blank southern area is Belgium proper, the north with the
> details, the
> > larger of the two roegten enclaves.
> > The roads west and eats are German to their edges, then Belgium
> kicks in.
> > The traffic island is on top of a hill, so the railway, Belgian,
> winds
> > around the hill to the far north, via Lammersdorf then south to
> Monschau.
> >
> > according to the US Geographers "International Boundary Study
No7,
> June 30
> > 1961 Belgium-Germany Boundary":
> > "Before 1949 the three roads had been in Germany while the
> territory on all
> > sides was under Belgian administration. In 1949 the roads were
> provisionally
> > transferred to Belgium. The 1958 solution saw the cession of
> Belgian
> > territory north of the roads and the return of the two east west
> segments to
> > Germany. In turn Germany ceded the north south stretch of highway
> > Belgium."
> > "Since Article 7 of the Bonnb Convention on Relations provides
that
> the
> > final determination of the boundaries of Germany must await a
peace
> > settlement of the whole of Germany, these frontier arrangements
are
> > necessarily provisional."
> >
> > Treaties covering the tripoint to enclaves area are:
> >
> > Treaty of Vienna 9 June 1815. In effect 1816-1919 and 1940-45.
> Basic line of
> > boundary.
> >
> > Boundary Treaty, Prussia and Netherlands, 26 June 1816. Detailed
> > delimitation of Congress of Vienna treaty boundary.
> >
> > Treaty of London, 19 April 1839. Belgian independence.
> >
> > Treaty of Versailles, 28 June 1919.Articles 31-35 detached
Moresnet