Subject: Re: Roetgen/Monschau enclaves
Date: Jun 06, 2001 @ 12:05
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

Some things are not entirely clear to me, though:
1. What is a traffic island (purely a language thing)? Is it the
parking lot due east of Fringshaus?
2. Why is this spot so special then? Was it any different from the
area south-east of it at any time?

Btw: The road is the Bundesstrasse 258, meaning it is maintained by
Federal services (L means Landstrasse, K means Kreisstrasse, meaning
they are under Fed. Land and District services, respectively). This
road has been named N (=Nationalstrasse) 258 in Belgium, without
changing the number. So B258 in de, and N258 in be. As you say, the
road is maintained by Germany. A situation not unlike Dutch road N274
in Germany. I don't know whether this road also has a German
designation.

Peter S.

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., "Brendan Whyte" <brwhyte@h...> wrote:
> The road junction from Roetgen (west) Monschau (south) and
> Lammersdorf(east).
> The blank southern area is Belgium proper, the north with the
details, the
> larger of the two roegten enclaves.
> The roads west and eats are German to their edges, then Belgium
kicks in.
> The traffic island is on top of a hill, so the railway, Belgian,
winds
> around the hill to the far north, via Lammersdorf then south to
Monschau.

> according to the US Geographers "International Boundary Study No7,
June 30
> 1961 Belgium-Germany Boundary":
> "Before 1949 the three roads had been in Germany while the
territory on all
> sides was under Belgian administration. In 1949 the roads were
provisionally
> transferred to Belgium. The 1958 solution saw the cession of
Belgian
> territory north of the roads and the return of the two east west
segments to
> Germany. In turn Germany ceded the north south stretch of highway
> Belgium."
> "Since Article 7 of the Bonnb Convention on Relations provides that
the
> final determination of the boundaries of Germany must await a peace
> settlement of the whole of Germany, these frontier arrangements are
> necessarily provisional."
>
> Treaties covering the tripoint to enclaves area are:
>
> Treaty of Vienna 9 June 1815. In effect 1816-1919 and 1940-45.
Basic line of
> boundary.
>
> Boundary Treaty, Prussia and Netherlands, 26 June 1816. Detailed
> delimitation of Congress of Vienna treaty boundary.
>
> Treaty of London, 19 April 1839. Belgian independence.
>
> Treaty of Versailles, 28 June 1919.Articles 31-35 detached Moresnet
and
> eupen-Malmedy fomr Germany.
>
> Report of the Belgian-German Boundary Demarcation Commission,
Aachen 6 Nov
> 1922. Very detailed technical report was published in Moniteur
Belge, the
> Belgian govt gazette, 7 March 1925 as an annex to the law
incorporating the
> lands into the Belgian provincial structure.
>
> Treaty between Be and De, Aachen 10 May 1935. Two small parcels of
land,
> 1.7sq km ceded by Belgium allowing extension of Aachen freight
yards.

> Report of the Western German Frontier Demarcation Commission -
Southern
> Group- Belgian-German Frontier, Arlon (Belgium)9 Sept 1949
> 7 parcels of German land provisionally placed under Belgian
administration.
> 20sq km, 500 inhabitants.
>
> Treaty between the FRG and the Kingdom of Belgium concerning
rectification
> of the German-Belgian boundary and other questions, Brussels, 24
Sept 1956.