Subject: RE: [BoundaryPoint] Law and Order on the border (TV show)
Date: Jun 02, 2001 @ 22:21
Author: Bill Hanrahan (Bill Hanrahan <hanrahan@...>)

Thanks Dallen...you summed it up far better than I!

Bill

At 06:10 PM 6/2/01, you wrote:
Bill,
The official status right now of dual citizenship for US citizens is that the US gvt does not recognize dual citizenships at all.  They don't prohibit them, they just don't recognize them.  I was born a US citizen, but my wife is Canadian, and I got my master's and doctorate degrees in Canada, which is when I became a landed immigrant first and then a citizen five years later.  The United States does not care if you become naturalized into a citizen of another country, as long as you don't formally renounce your US citizenship, even if your new country's oath requires a renouncement.  The ONLY way an American can lose citizenship now is by appearing before a consul general, ambassador, or other high official of the US gvt abroad, and formally renounce it in front of him/her.  The date you're looking for was 1977.  Since then, US citizens do not lose citizenship by becoming naturalized in another country.  There's still a great deal of myth out there about this, but these are the official policies at present.  Canada too allows dual citizenship, but there is talk of putting a stop to this if Quebec seperates, to avoid allowing the Quebecois to have Quebec and Canadian citizenship, however this will not be retroactive.

Dallen