Subject: US-Mexico
Date: Jun 02, 2001 @ 22:32
Author: Dallen Timothy (Dallen Timothy <dtimothy@...>)

Bill, next time you're in Arizona, stop by and we'll head for the border!  I was in Douglas this past Monday and Tuesday at some meetings on both sides of the border.  Very fascinating.  Here are a couple of funny things I learned about the border:

1) actually the fence at the Douglas/Agua Prieta crossing is about two-three feet inside the United States.  If you go westward, the big fence ends, giving way to a run-down, simple barbed-wire fence with big holes in it.

2) every 40 years the two communities have an international horse race.  The US team races down their side of the fence on the border patrol road, while the Mexican participants race on the dirt road on their side of the fence--the two tracks being only about 15 feet apart.  Unfortunately I didn't know about this event until two weeks after it was over, and it's not expected to happen again for another 40 years!!!!!!

3) there's a special border crossing for cows!!!  In fact they have to have their own passports!!!  Ok, not passports per se, but paperwork.  It's down the border about three km from the traffic crossing.  The corrals on the Mexican side are connected to the corrals on the US side by a small corridor that crosses through the fence.  Before, I thought that the cattle were basically just transported across the main crossing in big trucks, but I learned different.  They actually have their own pedestrian crossing!!!!  Apparently there's one at Nogales and Tijuana too.  I think everyone will get a kick out of the pictures.

Dallen