Subject: Re: belize guatemala mexico tricountry point update
Date: Apr 28, 2001 @ 00:18
Author: Peter Smaardijk ("Peter Smaardijk" <smaardijk@...>)

--- In BoundaryPoint@y..., michael donner <m@d...> wrote:
> called in this case the maroni river triangle dispute
> haha
> & definitely worth checking out on a map
> but unlike the brgysr details the brfrsr details are scarce on
both the
> dispute & contingent tripoint
> so holler if you should find any at all

Hollering

The Marowini/Marouini triangle was awarded to the Netherlands through
arbitration by the emperor of Russia in 1891, but it looks like there
has been some sort of an agreement since (maybe 1900, maybe concluded
in Basle, the sources are not really clear), that stated otherwise.
I'm still searching. As you may have guessed, the issue at stake was
not different from the Upper Courantyne one (which upper branch is
the main river, since it has been decided the main river is the
boundary).

According to http://suriname.esmartweb.com/boedel_d.htm , in 1975
(independence of Surinam) the Netherlands and France were in
accordance about the boundary from the confluence of the Marowini (or
Marowijnekreek in Dutch) and the Litani (called Itany in French)
northwards, and it was stated by the Dutch p.m. Joop den Uyl: Omtrent
de grens ten zuiden van de samenvloeiing van de Marowijnekreek en de
Litani geldt het, blijkens het op 14 november 1975 door delegaties
van het Koninkrijk der Nederlanden en de Franse Republiek
ondertekende protocol,door de koninkrijksdelegatie bepleite
koninkrijksstandpunt, onverminderd hetgeen blijkens dit protocol
gemeenschappelijk wordt aanbevolen als leidraad voor een te sluiten
grensverdrag en een verdrag betreffende economische samenwerking
tussen Suriname en de Franse Republiek. [About the boundary south of
the confluence of the Marowini and the Litani the protocol, signed by
the delegacies of the Kingdom of the Netherlands and the French
Republic on november 14, 1975, giving the point of view of the
Kingdom, notwithstanding that what is recommended jointly by this
protocol as a guidance for a boundary treaty, and an economic
cooperation treaty yet to be concluded between Surinam and the French
Republic, is in force].

This document is a letter of Joop den Uyl to the Surinam government
describing the boundaries of the colony on the eve of independence,
which was november 25, 1975.

Peter S.