Subject: vatican sovereignty
Date: Apr 27, 2001 @ 00:51
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

grant
you were saying here to arif that sovereignty doesnt really achieve its
full meaning when applied to the vatican
& i understand what you meant too
but i also had to wonder whether i made myself clear earlier about the
vatican being legally an exclave only of god

it was a fair joke
but more importantly
it comes from the preamble to the lateran treaty
which begins
in the name of the most holy trinity
& then stipulates
permanently assuring to the holy see a position de facto & de jure
which shall guarantee absolute independence for the fulfillment of its
exalted mission in the world

these terms make the sovereignty of the vatican legally the same as the
divine sovereignty itself
& thus make it the only known legal exclave of god in the world
with everything else in the world being presumably just virtual
exclaves of god
whereas all the other normally acknowledged sovereignties in the world
say like that of spain including its exclave llivia
come down through tradition from the divine right of their kings
which is however nearly totally forgotten in modern times
having become diffused into a sovereignty of nationhood
rather than just of their monarchs alone any longer

but of course in reality everyone is just as sovereign & divine as everyone
else
or even as any entire sovereign country for that matter
or even the universal sovereignty itself for all i could say

so you may be able to resolve your conflict by tracking down & appreciating
all the nuances & shadings of virtuality & sovereignty that can probably be
found in all the details & traces of the special prestige & leverage the
vatican enjoys

but it may also help to treat your conflict as just a reflection of the
larger conflict within the treaty
for both are easily resolvable by postulating the divinity of self
just as the vatican has done for itself
whereupon all the many shades of distinction might vanish in such light