Subject: Re: Vatican Radio - again
Date: Apr 26, 2001 @ 21:15
Author: granthutchison@cs.com (granthutchison@...)

> The list of extraterritorial areas was apparently changed at least
> once, in 1951 (the radio transmitters were added to the list), acc.
> to http://www.smh.com.au/news/0004/20/world/world04.html , so the
> buildings enumerated in the Lateran Treaty are not the whole story.
> This probably accounts for the difficulty in finding out just how
> many and which areas enjoy extraterritoriality.
Still, it's pretty odd - it is, for instance, very easy to find out a
list of British Overseas Territories or US dependencies, and the
status of these lists has changed frequently, too, and much more
recently than 1951. There are governmental and any number of personal
web-sites listing such things. I can't help but feel the waters are
particularly muddy in this particular area, for some reason.
(Admittedly, the Lateran Treaty allows for on-the-fly creation of
temporary extraterritorial areas, more or less at whim, but the core
group must remain static for years on end.)

Grant