Subject: re: territorial sea enclaves
Date: Mar 15, 2001 @ 09:54
Author: Martin Pratt ("Martin Pratt" <m.a.pratt@...>)

Michael,

Given that you were probably working with pretty small-scale charts, I
applaud your list of potential territorial sea tripoints. The only omission
I spotted was Croatia-Italy-Slovenia, and I'm sure you meant
EGYPT-Jordan-Saudi Arabia rather than Israel-Jordan-Saudi Arabia....

However, using some of the sources I am fortunate to have available here in
Durham, I am afraid that I am going to have to raise doubts about five of
the tripoints on your list:

1) Using equidistance lines, the Kuwait-Iran-Iraq tripoint lies a couple of
miles beyond the territorial sea limits of the three countries (although it
is still a potential continental shelf/EEZ tripoint).

2) Using equidistance lines, the France-Netherlands territorial sea boundary
off St Martin would not meet the France UK boundary between St Martin and
Anguilla, so I fear there is no possibility of a tripoint here.

3, 4, 5) The potential El Salvador-Honduras-Nicaragua,
Belize-Guatemala-Honduras, and Indonesia-Malaysia-Singapore tripoints all
trip up over the use of 3 nautical mile territorial sea limits. In due
course, Singapore and Belize may extend their claimed territorial sea limits
to 12 nautical miles, thereby creating the possibility of tripoints.
However, the prospects for a tripoint between El Salvador, Honduras and
Nicaragua seem remote, as the jurisidctional regime in the Gulf of Fonseca
(3-mile territorial seas and joint sovereignty beyond) was laid down by the
International Court of Justice in 1993.

So territorial sea tripoints are rare beasts indeed. As yet, none has been
confirmed in a formal boundary agreement.

m a r t i n