Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Message 1698/99 DENL at Dinxperlo
Date: Mar 15, 2001 @ 09:43
Author: Peter Smaardijk (Peter Smaardijk <peter.smaardijk@...>)

Thanks. That confirms it once more.

Nice to know that bishop Bernhard van Galen is in actual fact Bommen Berend (Bombs Bernard). He is
known by this nickname in the city of Groningen, that he tried to capture in 1672, when the Republic
of the Netherlands was at war with Muenster (and France, and England, and some other German
bishopric. No wonder 1672 is commonly known as the 'Disaster Year'). Bommen Berend didn't succeed,
but the bombardments were tremendous. The day the bishop called it a day and saw that Groningen was
not for him is still a holiday in Groningen, called 'Bommen Berend' (August 28).

From the list I can see that at least some stones are not at their original locations, but in
various museums.

Peter S.