Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Re: Ile de la Conference
Date: Mar 14, 2001 @ 03:37
Author: michael donner (michael donner <m@...>)

first thanx for the tactful hint peter
as all these franco spanish condo tripoints could be called frfrspsp only
in my fractured isofips
a coinage as adulterated as punctology itself
& of course they should all be changed to esesfrfr in the kings iso
tho the suffixes 1 2 3 & 4 can still probably continue to serve pro tem
to indicate the generally ascending &or eastward progression of the 4 such
points you have turned up so far
of which i take it we were talking here about number 3 in the line

your observations themselves are a little puzzling to me tho because i
thought you had indicated earlier that the all dry or upper condo is the
island itself
or is coterminous with the island
& also that the international boundary is defined in such a way as to meet
this condo boundary precisely at the upstream & downstream extremities of
the island
or at least to make a sort of wedge out of it i think you said

your map in http://www.egroups.com/message/boundarypoint/1481 makes this
pretty clear too
if it can be believed

perhaps i have only imagined some of these details
but all together they are what led me to predict that the 2 ile de la
conference tripoints at least would be easy to put a finger on

& your pic in message 1703
http://www.originepyrenees.com/images_mag/ile.jpg
now that i compare it to the map
appears to give a very good view indeed of tripoint esesfrfr3 at left
as well as a pretty fair view of tripoint esesfrfr4 at right

however if the international boundary does cleave invariably to a thalweg
or thalwegs
as you now seem to be indicating
then it couldnt & wouldnt even touch the island
& if it does describe the center line of the river invariably
as you may also mean
then it could only strike the island by chance if indeed it did so at all
& would thus in just about every possible case not produce the neat results
i had envisioned
& on which i based the guesses made both above & below

your guess that it might be off frame at left would place it within the river
where i was least expecting it based on the above info
& moreover you seem to be talking about 3 thalwegs here in all
as if to indicate this is a river confluence rather than an ordinary island
& i know there was some reference made to changes in the river but
but perhaps you can straighten me out here again too