Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Largest enclave
Date: Mar 13, 2001 @ 15:10
Author: Peter Smaardijk (Peter Smaardijk <peter.smaardijk@...>)

michael donner wrote:

> thanxx to peter & especially to martin for the further clave & sovereignty
> elucidations
> & i am glad to learn equatorial guinea is truly exclavic
> nicholsons usage of land area to the contrary notwithstanding
>
> but i must say this throws my whole previous understanding
> or i should say misunderstanding
> of maritime tri sovereign points into the drink
> so it is back to the underwater drawing board for me
> & you can probably expect a considerable retrenchment from my earlier guess
> of 160 maritime tri country points worldwide
>
> upon further relection also
> i would just like to retreat an extra inch here by adding the following
> hopefully final nuance to clave usage
>
> altho saying flatly
> an enclave of any country
> still seems to me to be an abuse of the word of
> nevertheless it is not really an abuse of the word in to say
> llivia is an exclave of spain or a spanish exclave in france
> while i would still prefer to say within france in such cases
>
> but it would still seem to me to be an abuse of the word in to say
> llivia is an exclave in france
> without first identifying it as an exclave of spain or a spanish exclave
>
> otherwise i wouldnt want to budge from the positions outlined below

I wonder if you can call Eq. Guinea exclavic. Is the island completely detached from the continental
part? I would say not, because in order to go from the one to the other, you go through 1. Eq.
Guinean terr. waters, 2. international waters (thus belonging to everyone, including Eq. Guinea), 3.
Eq. Guinean terr. waters once more. I think if international waters are in the way, there is usually
less reason to call something an enclave.

Peter S.