Subject: Re: [BoundaryPoint] Largest enclave
Date: Mar 13, 2001 @ 07:48
Author: Peter Smaardijk (Peter Smaardijk <peter.smaardijk@...>)

My understanding of -claves runs along the same lines. Just to add to the discussion - and I'm open
for arguments to the contrary:

I think there are three parties here:
1. The clave itself
2. The 'mother' country ('belonging')
3. The 'alien' country ('intrusion')

The adjective used (e.g. 'Spanish') designates the mother country.
The perspective of the situation can be both from the mother country and the alien country.
And the meaning of enclave and exclave is the same as Michael's.

If we take the example of Llivia, it is a Spanish clave and not a French one.
It can be:
1. A Spanish exclave from the Spanish perspective
2. A Spanish enclave from the French perspective

1 because it is totally detached from Spain
2 because it is totally surrounded by France

In this way Voeren is a Flemish exclave (i.e. from the Flemish perspective) and Nakhichevan an Azeri
exclave (from the Azeri perspective). They are no enclaves, though.

When sea comes into it, I tend to see territorial waters as territorial land, and the rest as
juridically not defined territory, so 'every man's land'. This regardless of exploitation, fishing,
and other economical rights that states might have.

Peter S.